Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1996 Mits Eclipse Spark Plug replacement

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 01:37 PM   #1  
unct
1996 Mits Eclipse Spark Plug replacement

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse, GS. I'm trying to replace the sparkplugs, but I can't get the sparkplug boot off. I can feel the snap (the metal clip disconnecting from the plug), but the rubber boot will not come off. I've tried turning and twisting the rubber boot, but have had no success. Is there some kinda trick to this? I've already gone to the Chilton guide and it was worthless in this situation.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

03-12-02, 03:53 PM   #2  
As far as I know that car doesn't have any exotic plug boot connectors, just need enough muscle. Sometimes a pair of spark plug boot pliers helps. Be sure you have a good grip on the boot to prevent pulling the plug wire loose from the terminal. Also on stubborn ones good idea to wear some work gloves; hurts like hell when the sucker finally comes off and you bash your hand on whatever is in the line of travel.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-12-02, 06:52 PM   #3  
Lol Tow-Guy, I was thinking about that while I was reading his/her post. Those suckers grip tight. Try disconnecting the wire from the other end, and twisting the plug end around and around constantly...in the same direction, while pulling upward.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 07:39 PM   #4  
Joe_F
If you ruin the boots on the wires, the wire set is fairly cheap. Chances are the are baked on there now.

Group Moderator

FL

03-13-02, 05:00 AM   #5  
That was my other suggestion, Joe; tie all the ends of the plug wires to a rope attached to the back of your Chevy and drop the clutch. LOL

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 09:16 AM   #6  
Joe_F
You're the TowGuy. You go ahead and do that.

You even have the Chevy to do it

03-13-02, 10:14 PM   #7  
Next time around

This is not uncommon. When you reinstall them, take a little silicone grease on your little finger, and wipe the inside of the boot. This will make the next time a lot eaiser to remove them. Marturo

Visiting Guest

03-14-02, 05:52 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Yes, true. Most wire sets come with a packet of grease where required.

Search this Thread