96 Dodge Stratus --No Fire on cylinders 2 & 3--

Old 03-12-02, 03:03 PM
KenG
Visiting Guest
96 Dodge Stratus --No Fire on cylinders 2 & 3--

I have a 96 Stratus that won't fire on cylinders 2 & 3. I've replaced the coil pack, camshaft sensor, auto shutdown relay, and the crankshaft sensor. I've also tested the coil pack electric connector with a 12 volt test light, as suggested by the Haynes repair manual. The test conluded that one side of the connector (I suppose the side that fires 1 & 4) is working. The side that fires 2 & 3 has no power. To eliminate a break in the wire for side 2 & 3, i ran a continuity test from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to the coilpack and it tested ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
KenG

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-02, 03:56 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Was the 1/4 coil pack that was receiving the signal that was verified with the test light a pulsed signal(like a spk signal)?

If this is the case and you tested the same wire on the same pin on the coil pack for cylinders 2/3 and also did the continuity check, I would have to say that the output is bad from the pcm.

They use the same inputs for the pcm(camshaft and crankshaft) so you know that is not the problem.

Sorry to hear about that.... Good luck

Might be cheaper to take it to the local Dodge dealer than to replace all of those parts and still not fix the problem..

Old 03-12-02, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Chad...sounds like a bad pcm, but it could also ba a bad ground, loose connector, etc... Have the pcm tested before you fork over the green for a new one.

Old 03-14-02, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most parts stores can check the computer for you throug their reman electronics supplier.

Check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins that match your problem as well.

Old 03-14-02, 03:27 PM
system
Visiting Guest
check the map sensor.

Old 03-14-02, 04:28 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
What does the map sensor have to do with spark? or not having it on only two cylinders?

Old 03-16-02, 12:00 AM
system
Visiting Guest
I don't know u believe or not. on these kind of vehicle.The map sensor can able to affect the pulse width or the spark.

Old 03-16-02, 08:03 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
It might be able to affect the injector pulse width or the ignition timing, but have never seen it cut the spark totally..