Dying?

Old 03-12-02, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry Dying?

1992 Plymouth Voyager 6cyl 3.0L engine.

My van dies intermittently. It seems to drop below idle and cut out. I can restart the engine, but it may die or stay running, it's kind of a crapshoot.

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-02, 07:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need to be more specific.

Check the links in my signature file for some ideas.

Old 03-12-02, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it do it only at idle? If so, the throttle body needs cleaning. Seen it many times.

Old 03-12-02, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
dying

No, it does it while driving.

When you let your foot off the gas and the engine ramps down, it cuts out.

Old 03-12-02, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the check engine light come on? How many miles? Has the throttle body been cleaned in the last 40,000 miles? The IAC motor in the throttle body may be carboned up. The throttle valve also accumulates crud around the edge of it, and around the inside of the throat, which stops airflow so fast that the IAC motor can't adjust for it.

Old 03-12-02, 07:44 PM
Visiting Guest
No, the check engine light does not come on. The only way that I know it dies is I have no power steering any longer. I did cycle my key and got the 55 code, which is no problem found.

Old 03-12-02, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remove the throttle body. There are only 2 nuts holding it on, remove the throttle cables and the bracket they're attatched to...only 2 10 mm bolts holding that. Use carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the throat and the edges of the throttle plate. Remove the IAC motor...small can shaped thing on the side with a connector. Held on by 2 t15 torx screws. Clean the pointed tip of it, and the seating surface inside the throttle body. Reassemble and see how it does. If this hasn't been done in a while, I guarantee it needs it. Whether or not that is the problem I don't know, but it probably is.

Wear safety glasses...carb cleaner hurts really really bad when it gets in your peepers.

Old 03-12-02, 07:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks,

I will give it a try and let you know. Thanks, cheese, for helping out the car illilerates out here.

Old 03-12-02, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem! Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-13-02, 04:43 PM
ladymac
Visiting Guest
dying

my daughter bought a dodge caravan . she also had that problem - when she had a full tank it ran ok - but when it was half full it did what you discribe. it turned out to be the fuel pump. the preasure in the full tank helped - possibly the floater was damaged - i hope this helped.