99 Surburban pulling and virbrating

Old 03-14-02, 10:52 AM
rodiva
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb 99 Surburban pulling and virbrating

I am a newbie to this forum. my '99 surburban 4wd had alingnment done a month ago, the alingment mechanic told me the truck needed brake, and quoted me $220. Consequently i asked a friend who manages another muffler & brake service to check my truck to see if it really needs brake.

My friend picked it up at my place and drove to work; he told me while driving there, the truck pulled toward right, and would try tire rotation to see if it would help. he replaced front pad (ac delco) turned rotors; replaced rear shoe (bendix) and had to sent drums to another brake place because "it had few hot spots on both drums" that he couldn't shave it off with his machine. He charged me $320 is that too much, cuz the alignment mechanic told me only $220 ?

While my friend drove my truck back to me, he said it still pulls to right and car is "jumping" and asked if the previous alignment mechanic balanced the tire before doing alignment. I didn't know, and the alingment mechanic charged me only $80 so i wasn't sure what was done. My friend insisted on educating me the difference betwn brake, wheel balance and alignment but i just couldn't get it! He also said since i have custom wheel "American Pacer" that perhaps only be able to put weight at the inner side of rims.

I don't know who to trust or if i got screwed by my friend or the alignment shop. I drive the truck now and it pulls to the right more than before. Can my friend possibly screwed up the alignment by simply changing brake parts? your suggestion is greatly appreciated, thank in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-02, 11:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the vehicle pulls when braking, look for a stuck caliper or bad brake hose.

That being said, you should check www.alldata.com and see if they have any bulletins that match your symptoms.

Get rid of the hokey aftermarket rims if you can't put wheel weights on both sides. However, that would give you more a vibration while driving, not braking.

Check your brake hoses and calipers for sticking, but check for bulletins first.

I wouldn't be messing too much with a 1999 Suburban.

If you want to eliminate the possibility of the wheels being an issue, swap on the original rims/wheels and see if the problem goes away. Sounds brake related.

Alignment issues would cause drifting/pulling while driving.

That being said, I don't think your friend is correct, and why would he charge you all that green for those things? . Although, drums aren't too cheap for these, they are quite heavy.

Old 03-14-02, 12:12 PM
rodiva
Visiting Guest
thanks for prompt reply. Prior the brake service, i already felt the truck pulls to right side a bit. however, now my truck vibrates (drifts) and pulls to right side more without even stepping on the brake pedal, i don't think it sticks. i have personally saw the pads and shoes that he took off, he showed to me when delivered truck back to me, they were in fact quite thin. My truck is around 38,500 miles and those American Pacer rims are 1.5 yr old. saying all that, truck drifts and pulls to oneside not even when i step on brake pedal, still brake problem?

i just called my friend, accusing him that he damaged my alignment and he charged me too much. He told me there is no way he touched the alignment by simply taking off the wheels and changed brake components. Also he said that the price is reasonable, and that the $220 quoted by the alignment shop must be just front brake, not include back "drum & shoe." got me a bit confused. I also called the alignment shop, they told me to bring it back.

I am not a car person at all, and both side seem to be firm about they didn't do anything wrong. Now I don't know who to blame, or if the Surburban itself is not a "brake" reliable SUV.

Old 03-14-02, 12:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If when you brake it pulls MORE, then something is amiss with the brakes.

That being said, if it still drifts when you drive along, that would normally be an alignment or tire problem.

If the first shop said for you to bring it back, go ahead and do so and let them check the alignment.

As for 220 bucks being reasonable for brakes all the way around, I agree. I probably would have paid half of that in parts and done the work myself .

Old 03-14-02, 12:49 PM
Brakes??

Sometimes pulling can be more than brakes or alignment. When you go into a left hand turn does it seem to fight you? then the oppsite on a righthand turn it seems to steer to easy. The shops in this area all use the inside weights since the new shop with the Mechanics from NY taught them how. This was pulling before you had any work done. Is it worse or the same?
I have heard of $400.00 for front & $400.00 for back brake jobs.

You allways have the right to take it back to the alignment shop. If you do and they say it is right on the money. Have them check your return valve in your power steering. I went for months before I found this problem in my 81 Pontiac Bonny. Brakes pull worse to the right if you apply them. Is this your case? Or does braking not make the pulling worse?

Don't confront a shop without proof first. Just keep taking it back until it is fixed for free, if their fault or pay if the SUVs fault.

This is going to take some back and forth from you to us if we are to help you. You are the driver and can tell us when it started did it get worse? But to ask someone like me who can't wait for that guy, who is in my car or truck for an inspection to get the XXLL out of my vehicel. If you got screwed, I don't know how to answer that. Different shops have different prices. So let's focus on the problem at hand and as more Mechanics come into this post we will solve the problem. OK?

Old 03-14-02, 04:52 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
It is not very unusual for a car to pull slightly to the right due to the crown in the road to allow for water drainage. If you threw a ball perfectly straight down the road that had a crown in it, it would fall off the crown. Just like a car would. I have seen tires cause this kind of pull (really severe), so what I suggest is that you rotate the tires on the front(swap the Left-front with the Right front) and drive it. The price that you mentioned is probably too much off par, but I would do it much cheaper for my "friends"

Good luck

Old 03-14-02, 04:52 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Sorry bout the second post , I think their server was messing up...

Old 03-14-02, 06:35 PM
rodiva
Visiting Guest
thanks. my "friend" did rotate the front tires, and because of rotation it made my truck pull to right more than before. Which is why he asked me to bring it to where my alignment was done to balance and re-align it. He insists that there's no way he could have touched the alignment to make the car pull to right more, he said possilby tire rotation made it worse, and that it's the tire and alignment problem. He also insists $320 for front/back full brake service on a surburban isn't too much in SF Bay Area. Well...i just want it fixed. Truck still vibrates pretty bad, pulls to oneside, without stepping on brake, even if i step on brake, it's the same but not necessarily worse. Maybe i should really start to learn more about cars. thank you all.

Mary

Old 03-14-02, 07:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's not likely his brake work affected the alignment, but if it pulls when you brake, that is usually brake related.

That being said, go back to the first shop and have them go through it. Then take a ride with the tech and have him come along with you driving.

If the wheel weights were only put on one side, that might throw the balance off as well.

If swapping the tires didn't help, it's not likely wheel and tire related.

Old 03-14-02, 07:40 PM
Problems posting

There is something wrong Joe with our word processing! It needs tested it is eating on space bar and back space! Just correcting my post was to ard to do so I opped Please see if you can check it ut thanks o much Martro see hatI mean?

Old 03-15-02, 05:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Marturo:

Something wrong with your access perhaps. I have posted both from home and work and have edited. No problems here.

Double check your settings/computer/connections.

Come back soon!

Old 03-16-02, 11:11 AM
rodiva
Visiting Guest
just to let you all know what happened. I took my 99 suburban back to the alignment shop, turned out they didnt performanced wheel balance, so i paid them $40 for that, and alignment under warranty. now the suburban drives nice and smooth, no more vibration and pulling. they also said the $220 brake estimate was front only, rear would be another $200

However, I think i over reacted and accused my friend who did my brake service, so i lost him. should have learn more about cars.

thank you all for help.

Old 03-16-02, 11:41 AM
Go back to your friend

Hey we all are human. Go back and tell him how sorry you are. It works 9 out of 10 times for me. # 10 was not a friend no how. Now you have a good reason for learning more about your ride. Just maybe this then, won't happen again.

Hey Joe are you saying my all GM Computer is all scrwe? Ees ti skorw ko [email protected] kniht I (LOL) Can't get that backwards now can I

Old 03-16-02, 03:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Marturo:

No problems posting on this end, so it has to be on your end