funny noises.....new car

Old 03-14-02, 04:52 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
funny noises.....new car

for some reason, when I put the car in reverse the car makes this funny ticking noise....any ideas on what it may be??

Also, I just bought another car...an 88 Tracer.....I bought the car from a car lot...the lady's friend used to own the car...he lost the ignition key, so the whole ignition needed to be replaced. It was replaced by a mazda ignition...when the car is idling in park, it runs just fine..you stick it in drive and the car acts like it's going to stall on you and it sometimes does stall on me...when you try to start going, the car acts like it's a manual and the clutch isn't wanting to let go or something...it lurkes forwards when it finally starts going somewhere...what are your ideas on what is causing this problem, or can you not tell by the way I'm explaining it...I'm not sure exactly how to explain it......

babygirl

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-02, 04:59 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Sounds like it's time for a transmission overhaul...

Good luck

Old 03-14-02, 05:04 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
transmission....for which car? I posted two different questions for two different cars.......

Old 03-14-02, 05:09 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
I would have to hear the ticking noise in reverse.

On the tracer, I would definetly say that you have some clutches slipping internally and will need an overhaul for the transmission..

Old 03-14-02, 06:21 PM
Transmission

As chadtoolio has allready stated it very hard to find out what is making the noise without hearing it.

On the car that lurches foward when you put it into drive. Try this: Drive the car for a few miles and if you know where the dip stick for the transmission is, and with the car in park , & parking brake locked. The owners tells you where the dip stick for oil & Trans.

Remove the transmission dip stick, and wipe the dip stick with a folded paper towel, insert and do this 2 times more, then read on the stick at the tip, where you have allready read after you wiped it off the first time when it was dry.

What we want to see is transmission fluid, at the full mark on both sides of the dip stick. If low add one fourth of a quart then get in the car with parking brake locked and foot on the brake. Move the shift slector from park to drive. Slowley about 5 times. Now put it back into park and repeat checking procedures & adding again until full.

Even if it is full, I want you to check it like before, now take the paper towel and smell the fluid. If it is low do this smell test before you add fluid. What we are looking for is a burnt smell even if it is very faint. Please post back after you do your check. Marturo

Old 03-14-02, 07:21 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
I already checked the transmission fluid...it's fine.....but thanks anyways.......................

Old 03-14-02, 07:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a transmission shop check it out to confirm the problem.

If it needs a tranny rebuild, pitch it. An 88 Tracer is a troublesome heap and is not worth the tranny expense. It is a Mazda 323 variant...not very good.

The ducats should be spent on something more reliable.

Old 03-14-02, 07:33 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
JOe...what about the other question.....I hear a funny ticking noise when I put my Marquis into reverse.....any ideas??

Old 03-14-02, 07:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Only in reverse? Check for bad U-joints or scraping elsewhere in the drivetrain.

Could also have a brake adjuster piece loose or broken, among other problems.

Old 03-14-02, 07:43 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
yes..only in reverse.... and it just started doing it a few days ago...I've been trying to avoid driving it as much as I can until I can find out what is wrong with it.......I have been out of town for a few days and I borrowed a friend's car, and he used mine...when I got back he told me that my car was making funny noises....I asked if it was in reverse...to see if it was the same funny noise...he confirmed that it was the same noise and said it made the noise other times too, but I have only heard it in reverse...

Old 03-15-02, 12:54 AM
When your'e backing (as out of a driveway) stop and before you shift in to drive, listen carefully as you shift. If you hear a clunk or a popping noise the problem is probably a u-joint. If it is, get it fixed soon. Usually not too expensive.

Old 03-16-02, 08:22 AM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
hey babygirl, what kind of new car is it. mitsubishi transmissions make a clicking that is normal.

Old 03-16-02, 04:54 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
it's a 85 Mercury Grand Marquis

Hey Joe, it only makes the clicking noise in reverse when the throttle is acting up.....(driving itself, so to speak) when the car is going 35 mph without me touching the gas pedal. WHen the car finally settles down and is idling normal, it doesn't make this noise in reverse....I just don't understand it....

babygirl

Old 03-16-02, 10:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Those CFI equipped Fords in those years had problems with throttle linkage clips and cables which cause racing and "driving by themselves". Make sure all's well there and there are no missing parts.

Another great idea by the Ford Motor Company. Lol .

Old 03-17-02, 08:47 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
I discovered last night that I also have a gas leak....I haven't taken a real good look at it yet, but there was a wet spot in the driveway, and I bent over to smell it and it smelled like gas, I'm taking it to the shop later today to get an oil change in it....so I'm probably just going to let them take a look at it and tell me what they think of it....

babygirl

Old 03-17-02, 05:29 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
well, the Tracer just died on me....had to get it towed home about 15 minutes ago.....Took it out to get gas and rent movie, pull up to the gas station (trying to find a pump) and it just died...no sputer, no noises, no nothing...just died. it feels and sounds like it's got power, gave it some gas, still won't start...was thinking maybe starter???? anyone have other ideas, think my guess is a good/bad one?

babygirl

Old 03-18-02, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with my post "The Basics" listed below. Print it out and take it with you to the car and try that.

As I said, be careful about spending any major money on an 88 Tracer, it's a collosal heap and will soak you for good money over time. If it's troublesome and starting to soak you, pitch it before it ruins you with cost. There is better out there for the same money.

Let us know what you find.

Old 03-19-02, 11:02 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
okay..I found out exactly what happened with the Tracer on the night that it died....Chris said that when he pulled into the gas station, the fuel light flashed at him and then it just died...there is fuel in it, I know this for a fact...the emergency shut off switch was NOT triggered, so that is not the problem...The car acts like it wants to start, tries to start, but seems and feels like it is not getting any fuel....I'm thinking fuel pump...but I'm not for sure how to change one of those, especially when it is in the gas tank..which is where it is on the Tracer. Does anyone know how to change it and wouldn't mind trying to take me through the steps so that I can replace it properly? I've looked for a car manual on the Tracer but I'm having problems finding one.

babygirl

Old 03-19-02, 12:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On most of them it's in the tank. Some had it on the engine (mostly carbureted cars).

Should be able to get a Chilton or Haynes manual for the car at any parts store.

Barring that, check the links in my signature file for some ideas.

An electric fuel pump (the right one, a dealer item usually) is a bit costly for this old shoe. That coupled with a couple of other repairs exceeds the value of the car. Pitch it in such case. As mentioned before, an 88 Tracer is not a "nice reliant automobile" like the NYS lottery song goes .

Ya still have to check the posts and links in my signature file before proceeding to take the fuel pump out. It's an expensive guess if you are wrong . Whoa Nelley.

Old 03-24-02, 08:13 PM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
ok...checked the local parts stores...none of them have a manual for an 88 Tracer....also, did more looking on the car, discovered that I have no spark.........not sure what all that means, but I ain't got a spark.....things I can think of are distributor, and condenser, and coil.....anything I'm missing???? Well, keep you posted......

Old 03-25-02, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely an ignitor/ignition problem.

Look for a manual for a Mazda 323. That's the same heap, I mean vehicle as a Tracer of this vintage .

That being said, you might also have a broken timing belt. Take the distributor cap off and crank the motor. If the rotor doesn't turn, the belt is wiped.

While it can be fixed, you'd already be about 300 bucks into a car you paid I believe 700 for? Might be worth it to pitch it. These cars are very poor in quality. Just a thought.

Old 03-25-02, 07:13 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
I took off the distributor and found out that the timing belt is not the problem, I haven't put any money into it yet....but I just bought it, don't have enough money to replace it, so I must fix it.....I'll check for a Mazda 323 and see if I can find anything there....

Old 03-25-02, 10:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Also, check the links in my signature file listed below for some ideas.