1999 tahoe tire alignment

Old 03-15-02, 10:07 AM
uncrph1995
Visiting Guest
1999 tahoe tire alignment

I just paid 216.00 for the labor assoicaited with the removal and replacment of KNOCKOUTS in order to have my front tires aligned. What are knockouts? Was it really necessary to remove them? Does this have anything to do with my car being 4 wheel drive. Everyone keeps telling me I have been ripped off?
The total alignment cost 289.00. Will this be necessary every time I need alignment?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-02, 11:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They are probably referring to the 4WD hubs. Likely had to dissasemble them to hook up the alignment apparatus.

Old 03-16-02, 08:12 AM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
nothing should have been removed to align that truck.

Old 03-16-02, 08:19 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
I agree, if they don't have the proper equipment to align the truck without dismantling it, they shouldn't align 4wd trucks..

Old 03-18-02, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately, this vehicle does have knockouts (or at least this one had). These are little punchouts in the upper control arm(UCA) mounts on the frame. From the factory, offset washers are attached to the UCA bolts at the frame(Some poeple refer to these as "cams" because they make the control arm move back and forth similar to the way a "camshaft" makes a lifter move). That is how you adjust caster and camber on this vehicle- by turning these "cams" in or out to change the alignment. Now from the factory there is just a hole in the mount that these cams are in. You cannot turn them because there is no slot for the bolt to slide in. This is where the knockouts come in to play. In order to adjust the alignment, you need to remove the "cams", slide out the control arm, and viola, on each side of that hole in the frame is a "perforated" (I use that term lightly - some can be a bear to remove) outline in the steel. You need to use a special tool, air chisel, or in the real "bear" cases, a torch to remove the punchouts. What this does is take a 1/2" hole and turns it into a slot approximately 2" long, allowing for the in and out movement for adjustment. There are two of these on each side of the vehicle for a total of four knockouts.
If anybody with one of these vehicles had it aligned with these knockouts still installed....well you got a "toe-set" not an alignment-you can't adjust what you can't move.
In '88-'89 GM had the slots there but spot welded regular washers over them- similar proceedure- remove control arms, grind off welds, BUY cams, install and align. '90 to present are as in above text.
Don't know if they still do , but when the Ford trucks switched to the two control arm suspensions, they had a triangular shaped washer that needed to be discarded,and replaced with "cams".
When I was at an independent shop- our going price for this proceedure was $150-$175 + tax(included align). That was 2 years ago. We were at $40/hr. It depended on the vehicle- easy ones were at the low end. Bears were higher. Geography has a lot to do with repair prices. Have talked to techs that were charging nearly $300 for same. Was this done at an independent shop or a dealership? Big price difference between the two.
Personally, if it was done and it drives well, the price was probably in the ballpark.
Hope this helped.

Fishpounder
~ <'{{{{{><|

Old 03-18-02, 09:53 PM
Just re-read the original post- this a one-time proceedure. Future adjustments may be necessary- but they should be included in the alignment price.

Fishpounder
~ <'{{{{{><|

Old 03-19-02, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ah, GM lingo.

I learned something. Good advice .