Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

GM TH400 fluid capacity

Visiting Guest

03-15-02, 11:09 PM   #1  
chevymudbogger
GM TH400 fluid capacity

I just put in a th400 transmission in my truck and I was wanting to know the fluid capacity. It has the deep pan, which I was told was an extra 2 quarts, and it has a cooler. I have been searching all over the net and cant get a clear and accurate capacity. Ive seen everything from 10.5 to 15.9 quarts on a dry trany. The guy who built it said 11+2 for the pan so 13 total. I put in 13 and it wants to kick in and out drive or not go in unless i give it a little gas. Which to me seems to be not enough fluid. The dipstick reads over full , so I dont know about putting more in it, if it will harm anything. It seems that it should be short just the amount the cooler holds, but that shouldnt be short enough to make it not go in gear or should it?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-16-02, 03:44 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Overfilling it causes foaming and loss of fluid, so don't do it.

Check a repair manual (see the links in my signature file) for the capacity.

Zero benefit to adding those "over capacity" pans. The stock one is fine.

Visiting Guest

03-16-02, 05:14 PM   #3  
chevymudbogger
The chilton library doesnt tell you the "fluid capacity" anywhere that I could find, just how to change a filter, but I didnt look really hard. As for the comment of a larger capacity pan not being a benefit, I have to differ with your opinion. It is the same principle of a race car using a deep oil pan for more capacity , which in turn makes for a cooler running motor. A lot of high performance places offer trany pans with a 2 1/2 qt increase with cooling fins on the pan. Heat kills a transmission more than any other reason, so anything that can make a slight difference helps.
Anyways, the fluid was full, I talked to the guy who built it and I ended up having to pull it out again. When I took it over there he pulled the front pump out of it, and the rings on the pump were really wore down and the clutchs were burnt. He says that the convertor must have caused this to happen by not pumping fluid or something. It was a reman from dayco so who knows. Hes going to take care of it , and is supposed to have it back to me by tuesday. I just hope thats right and it gets fixed.

Visiting Guest

03-16-02, 05:32 PM   #4  
ASE DAVE
13 SOUND LIKE THE WRIGHT AMOUNT. YOU NEED TO EMAIL SCOTT ARE GREG AT WWW.PHOENIXTRANS.COM AND ASK FOR THE PROP. FLUID. THEY ARE THE EXPERTS.----DAVE----

Visiting Guest

03-16-02, 10:38 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Actually, no.

If you do hauling a better tranny cooler (aftermarket) will benefit you far more than just dumping more fluid into it with a larger pan.

Another reason why some performance cars have oil cooler options (Like the police package cars).

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 11:23 AM   #6  
chevymudbogger
I also have a trany cooler on it. The deep pan is a factory GM pan , not an aftermarket. GM put them on the HD th400s in the 1 ton trucks , late 70s e, early 80s. The 400s in the 1/2 tons were the short pan and not heavy duty. Either way, 2 extra qts is still better, just not on the pocket book, especially since this will be the 2nd time to buy 13 qts of fluid! I'll update when I get the trany back and in, hopefully by wednesday.

Visiting Guest

03-19-02, 05:27 PM   #7  
transman
on a turbo 400 tranny the exact full level is even with the modulator, located on passenger side of transmission, remove the modulator and drain fluid, if overfilled.
OOPS FORGOT, MOTOR TURNED OFF OF COURSE, YIKES!!!

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 09:07 PM   #8  
chevymudbogger
Ok, first off , thanks for the replys. I got it back in , with another overhaul, another B3 conv by dacco, and everything seems to be fine. It took exactly 13 qts. Evidently I just got a bad convertor, like 1 in a million, but thats my usual luck. haha

Search this Thread