Poss bad cat.

Old 03-16-02, 06:11 AM
ASE DAVE
Visiting Guest
Poss bad cat.

A 98 chevy p.u. 1500 2wd 305 setting code p1153. that is the rear o2senser. test show to replace senser and i havc but the code come back. with it on comp. scanner the rear o2 shows .2volts at 2000rpm. my quest. is can the cat be bad in some way. i know the o2 measures oxygen not gas in exhaust. i dont know how the cat works for sure but am leaning that way. any help will be app. thanks dave

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-02, 06:50 AM
yes a cat can cause a checkengine light and store a trouble code that usually says reduced cat efficiency the rear o2 sensor is there mainly to monitor the efficiency of the cat, but when i look up code 1153 i get bank 2 sensor 1 which is not the rear o2 sensor it is the upstream o2 on the passenger side not knowing how accurate the chilton library online maybe i would suggest you get a manual and double check that code to determine which o2 sensor it is for. you will have 3 or 4 o2 sensors on that vehicle that will either be bank1 or bank 2 or sensor 1 which is the closest to the engine and sensor 2 which is further downstream , and some models even have a sensor 3.

Old 03-16-02, 07:52 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Usually bank one will be on cylinders 1,3,5,7

Good luck

Old 03-16-02, 05:26 PM
ASE DAVE
Visiting Guest
THANKS BEJAY FOR THE REPEL. I HAVE HAD VEHICAL ON SCANNER AND THE VEHICAL HAS 3 SENSOR ON IT , TWO IN FRONT OF CAT AND ONE BEHIND CAT. THE ONE BEHIND CAT GOES TOO .22VOLT AND WHEN I UNPLUG THE REAR SENSER IT GOES TO A FIXED .447 SO I BELIEVE I AM ON THE CORRECT SENSOR. WHEN I BACKPROB. THAT SENSER IT SHOW .22 OR .27VOLT THE SAME AS THE SCANNER. CAN YOU GIVE ME THE EMAIL ADDR. TO ON LINE MICTH. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.---------DAVE----------

Old 03-16-02, 10:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Additionally, if you sense a bad cat, the Federal Emission law dictates GM will eat the repair for free for the first 5 years/50k.

Yes, a bad cat would set the light. My coworker's 96 Explorer required a PCM update to lighten the converter efficiency threshhold in the vehicle. He was getting a similar problem.