Help! Replace Ranger's rear sliding window

Old 03-16-02, 09:19 AM
Leon Ives
Visiting Guest
Question Help! Replace Ranger's rear sliding window

Radio thief smashed my son's rear, center, sliding, tinted window in 1998 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab. Saved the inside latch. End windows are okay. If I purchase window how hard will it be to replace? Anyone willing to give detailed advice? Thanks.

Old 03-16-02, 10:03 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Got thin nylon rope? and some dish wash detergent?

Should be very easy...

Are you replacing the entire rear window or not? Have you found the parts for the center window?

I have never taken one of these apart, I think the frame of the window assembly is riveted together.

Old 03-16-02, 10:20 AM
Leon Ives
Visiting Guest
I can get the nylon rope and detergent. I am going to a parts store to order the center, sliding glass only, if that is possible. I can see the window track inside and I am hoping it is just a matter of inserting the the top of the glas into the track and letting the bottom of the glass drop in the bottom track. The window is protectd outside by a six inch molded plastic top and bottom. I assume to stop anyone from lifting the window from the outside. Plus, the latch would also prevent this. Does anyone know exactly how this is done?

Old 03-16-02, 11:06 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
I think I could give accurate instruction on removing and installing the entire rear window assembly, but I am not too familiar with the frame assembly on that truck, sorry...

Old 03-16-02, 10:01 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have gone to the parts store than you probably have found out that your more than likely going to have to replace the entire assembly..I have never heard of replacement panels being available for any sliders. Many of the frames are now encapsulated units which means the exterior trim or possibly plastic in this case is part of the unit. Many frames are now welded together.... First check you insurance for glass coverage....The Autoglass replacement calculator shows 3.4 hours which usually indicates it is the popular Ford bolt in assembly as no sealants are shown to be used and by process of elimination.... a rope in which is reffered to above would be 1.5 book hours.........

Old 03-16-02, 10:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might also price out the installed price versus installing it yourself. It might not be worth the time and trouble when a shop might whip it in quicker and give a better deal overall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: