454 blow-by in a 92 Winnebago

Old 03-16-02, 07:49 PM
cajon ken
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 454 blow-by in a 92 Winnebago

The motor in my Winnie smokes BAD and I have been told that it is blow-by. Original problem: hard starting/would not start and a lot of hard backfiring. Did the tune up thing including pvc valve, plugs, rotor, distributor cap, plug wires. Now starts and runs smooth but smokes. Took the air cleaner off and pulled the oil fill tube out of the valve cover. Does not have excessive oil in the valve area (at least not on the right side. did not check the left). The man that looked at it said the only remedy is an overhaul (126,000 miles ), or replace the motor. I'm not the smartest man on the planet when it comes to automotive things so any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-02, 08:41 PM
454 smokes

If it smokes after it warms up. your rings are weak and letting oil by into the combustion chamber. Yes you need a complete rebuild, and soon. the longer you wait the more damage you will cause.

The more damage, the more it will cost you to get it fixed. I am a person, who believes that if an engine cared for me for over 100,000 miles, then I would rather rebuild that engine, than get a cheap rebuilt one, that may have cracks or other problems. Then you will be stuck with them, instead of your well proven engine.

So I have to say find a good engine man, and don't let him put the chepie parts into the new rebuild. Who knows with todays new oils you might get 200,000 miles out of it next time.

Marturo

Old 03-16-02, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the smoke bluish-grey? Are you having to add transmission fluid often?(I know it's the engine smoking, but transmission fluid can be sucked into the engine and smoke) Did it suddenly start smoking, or was it a gradual increase in the amount of smoke over a period of months or years?

Old 03-16-02, 10:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with both Marturo and Cheese here.