Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Sable Water Pump

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 02:53 PM   #1  
toddy355
89 Sable Water Pump

What is all involved with replacing the water pump on an 89 Merc. Sable other the removel of alternater and the AC compressor. I am wondering no how big a job that it is?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 04:48 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The engine size would help...

Check the links in my signature file for some service manual information which will give you some idea.

It's a bit extensive because of the packed in nature of everything around it that has to come out.

Group Moderator

FL

03-17-02, 05:39 PM   #3  
If it's a 3.8L and you're replacing it for a leak, make sure you're positive it's the water pump leaking (I'm assuming same engine/layout as that '93 of my brothers I had to do, Joe?)

If it's the same motor, check this thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=77375

And on my job the ac compressor wasn't in the way (but on an '89 it may sit in a different location.

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 05:58 PM   #4  
toddy355
Hi sorry the motor is a 3.0 and not sure about exact location of leak but it is all wet under the pump and when running the water pump pulley is not spinning true a slit wobble which leads me to believe a bearing is out.

Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 03:32 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Sounds like a wiped water pump for starters. Make sure everything else is true when you do the job.

Search this Thread