Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

old automatic tranz.

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 08:29 PM   #1  
cosmicfreak
old automatic tranz.

I put a used c-4 transmission in my car (ford 200 ci. 3.3 ltr. 1 dbl.)and have several things I don't know.
1. How does over filling an auto tranz. effect it?
2. Where should the vac. line go to on the carb?
3. How do you know when the tranz needs rebuilding?
Also if I have no way of hooking up the passing gear lever what should be done with it? All my past tranz. work has been on manual ones. So please help. Am currently baffled.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 03:16 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Overfilling a transmission is not good for it. Rectify that first. Overfilling with fluid will cause foaming and fluid loss. That will grenade the tranny in a jiffy. A bad modulator will also cause no upshift, so pitch that for a new one (a couple of bucks) to eliminate it as a source.

Only Fords could have this many woes in an old tranny . GM's are easier to swap and interchange among models

That being said, usually the modulator port is on the back of the carburetor. Get a vacuum hose diagram for your model (Or look under the hood to see if it's there) and see which is the modulator port.

That being said, if you got a used tranny, it may be a heap. Could have had internal failure before hand.

Was this model transmission ever installed as an option in your car? Might not be any provisions for any cables or such on this carburetor. Hit a Ford dealer with an old time parts guy that has books going back this far and see what pictures they have of the throttle cable/detent cable set up. I know there are Ford books at most dealers that go back this far.

Visiting Guest

03-19-02, 05:14 PM   #3  
transman
1. How does over filling an auto tranz. effect it?
if fluid level is above gear train it beats air into fluid, effect as bad as underfilling.
Where should the vac. line go to on the carb?
lowest point possible below throttle plate(note; not choke)
How do you know when the tranz needs rebuilding?
slippage, no engagments, etc. most trans shops offer a free initial check of the trans, though one franchise now charges for that, i recomend an independant trans shop.
Also if I have no way of hooking up the passing gear lever what should be done with it?
you mean no spot on carb to hook it up? replace carb then.

Visiting Guest

03-19-02, 07:26 PM   #4  
cosmicfreak
got it working fine

used a fluid sucker to get out the excess fluid, then found a port hole on my intake manafold and hooked up the modgulator to it with a vacuum adapter. when i said no where to hook up the passing gear thing I meant the d-tent lever. so i just put it in a fixed position somewhere near the middle of the lever adjustment. I does slip when it shifts from second to third, so I'm pretty sure it needs rebuilt. Thanks for all the help guys, this is a very informative site!

Search this Thread