ford points

Old 03-18-02, 03:04 AM
ford points

Friend has 80's (I think) model Ford truck with 302 engine. The engine has been changed, he does not know what year it is, and it has been changed from electronic ignition to points and distributor type ignition. Has had no problems until recently. He replaced the distributor with a remanufactured one. It will run just fine for about one to two minutes. At that time it starts running real rough until it will finally shut off. When it cools for a few, it will again run good for a coupl eof minutes. The points keep getting overheated (really hot). When I took him to get plugs he bought plugs for an 80 model. When I took again to get new points and condensor, he bought for 74, I think. I'm thinking this may be part of the problem. He does not know what year the motor is. Hope this is a general enough guestion as to get some hints on why the points would get so hot after a couple of minutes. This truck is his livelyhood, anyhelp would be appreciated.

Tx

P.S. Should the distributor have any play at all in the shaft? This one seems to have just a littleif pushed back and forth by hand. I told him he could have a bad remanfactured distributor, or the problem might be at the bottom of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-02, 03:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Points went out with bellbottoms, so pitch 'em too. Bell bottoms did come back in style, but fortunately points did not

Get an electronic conversion kit from any parts store or Petronix and eliminate those pesky points. Why on earth anyone would continue to use them is beyond me. They are not very reliable.

The conversion kits do not even alter the original appearance (which would concern me ), so no problem there.

Sounds like a real hokey install of the engine by using an old engine in a newer truck.

Old 03-18-02, 03:17 AM
I was editing the post , tx for the quick response. I tell him he should check this sight out for info on the truck. He mostly gets online just to check the weather, I think, so I thought I would do it for him. Besides, I don't think I have ever seen this problem and am curious as to what would cause the points to get so hot.

Tx again.

Old 03-18-02, 03:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The difference in the type of gap and the type of plug in the given years.

Look on the valve cover for the engine size and model year it was originally used on. There's usually an emission decal with the year of certification. The Motorcraft part # for the plugs is often there too, as well as the gap. Go with that for now.

And then pitch those pesky points. I'd say pitch the Ford too, but that's not nice

Old 03-18-02, 03:26 AM
I'd say pitch the Ford too, but that's not nice

Hey! Not one of those that think F O R D means Fix or repair daily, are you?

Old 03-18-02, 03:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

Ford's the second largest car maker for a reason. Lol.

Let us know what your problem turns out to be.

Seems I answer a lot of Ford questions here though. Lol.

As for Fix or Repair Daily, you'd want to ask Fordtech as he DOES fix 'em daily , and TowGuy who probably tows 'em daily.

Old 03-18-02, 03:40 AM
Ouch, ouch, and ouch! Heheh, will let you know when I find out. Shh, what is that I hear? Think it may be a Chevy rusting? Heheheh, good and bad in all of them, I guess. My biggest complaint on Fords is the fact that the parts won't interchange like Chevys. Almost like you can't take a plug from the same model and year Ford and put it into another.

Heheh, have a good day

Old 03-18-02, 04:06 AM
Buddy was online this morning. Said he set the points on 25 and it ran good all evening. So, maybe he has found his problem. He was told from 19 to 25, I think. This particular engine with the changed ignition system may have required the wider gap.

Guess we should have expected the gap was too close, burning the points.

Old 03-18-02, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you nailed it, but points stink, so dump 'em. They are pesky and unreliable.

They went the way of the buggy whip. Lol. Fact is electronic ignition is tons more reliable and efficient. I would swap it with a conversion kit.

I wouldn't have swapped and older engine in a newer vehicle, but that's just me . In some states (like NYS), you might have a problem with the passing of emissions.