Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blown head Gasket?

Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 10:31 AM   #1  
ljduke
Blown head Gasket?

The engine in my 1996 Dodge Intrepid recently overheated. My friend says I may have blow a head gasket. How can I tell if this has happened and what sort of things should I look for? The engine still starts and seems to run fine. The temperature gage went about halfway. I put new coolant in it. After it warmed up, a lot of the coolant started to come out of the overflow hose.
I can't seem to find any other leaks?
How can you tell if there is coolant in the oil?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 10:59 AM   #2  
Joe_F
White, sweet smelling smoke out of the tailpipe is one indicator.

The oil dipstick will appear like a milkshake. That means coolant and oil are mixing.

A shop can easily check it with a gas analyzer for you. There are also testers that can determine this as well. Parts stores have them.

Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 11:33 AM   #3  
ljduke
Re: Blown head Gasket?

Originally posted by ljduke
The engine in my 1996 Dodge Intrepid recently overheated. My friend says I may have blow a head gasket. How can I tell if this has happened and what sort of things should I look for? The engine still starts and seems to run fine. The temperature gage went about halfway. I put new coolant in it. After it warmed up, a lot of the coolant started to come out of the overflow hose.
I can't seem to find any other leaks?
How can you tell if there is coolant in the oil?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
What are the ways to check for a blown head gasket? and if I do have one what am I looking for as far as repair? Cost?
Does this mean that there will be additional problems associated with this? What should I look for and do you think the engine will be alright after this incident?

03-18-02, 11:59 AM   #4  
Overheated

Since Ethylene Glycol will remove the oil from your garage floor. I would recommend draining your oil for inspection. It will be at the bottom of the pan. Get it out now, if you supect it is in your oil. You can also see oil floating on the surface of your raidator, and coolant recovery tank.

You should take a compression check of all cyls. Warm the engine up and let it cool until it is cool enough to work on. Sometimes you can watch the coolant flow with the cap off, but if your gasket is blown, you're more likely to get a face full of hot coolant.
You can have a head gasket suck or blow. When it sucks coolant you get steam out of your tail pipe. when it blows you get pressure in your cooling system. Our it can be compromised between the cyls and those two cyls will have low commpression.

Anytime you put coolant in a modern engine, when it gets hot a pint is going to come out of a hot engine to the coolant recovery tank, then return back into the engine when it cools off and creates a vaccum.

Question time. Why did it overheat? Did you fix the overheating problem? How bad did you overheat the engine?
How much fluid came out after you warmed it up? How long did you warm it up?

I'm trying to see just what you mean when you say I just warmed it up and it started belching out fluid out like I pumped it up with air. Or I warmed it up and after I shut it off some fluid came out, because I did not have the system purged of air. Like it will be after you heat and cool the engine a few times. That removes the air and replaces air with fluid from the overflow tank.

I still really need to know, how hot it got & did you fix the cause of the overheating. It wouldn't hurt to give us a compression reading. Like over on the computer post, they will ask for all kinds of readings. Well the more test results you can give a Mechanic. That will allow him / her to make an educated guess. If we were there these or the kinds of tests we would do.

Let's get greasy! Marturo

Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 12:09 PM   #5  
Joe_F
As mentioned, shops have cooling system testers and parts stores do too to check for blown gaskets and other cooling woes like this. Check with Autozone for one, I'm sure they have it. Might be able to rent the tool/tester for free to check.

A blown head gasket is fairly big trouble. The car will not not run right and will overheat. You may or may not have damaged it by overheating as Marturo alluded to.

Search this Thread