Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

could it be my brakes?

Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 11:33 AM   #1  
moesha
could it be my brakes?

I drive a 97 Chevy Cavalier - recently I have experienced a semi grinding high pitched squealing (?) noise predominantly when I go to brake, but also, just at random times while driving. What do you all advise?

thanks for your help,
Moesha

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 12:12 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Probably the warning feelers scraping the rotors. Time for brakes.

Have it checked out before you ruin the rotors .

03-18-02, 12:23 PM   #3  
Noise

I agree with joe by all means have your brakes checked. I do have 2 questions. Is the noise louder the more pressure you put on to the brake pedal? Is the noise as loud, when it occurs when not braking?

Visiting Guest

03-18-02, 03:11 PM   #4  
chadtoolio
On that car the rotors are about 10 bucks a piece, I would be cheaper to replace them that to have them turned. I do agree with Joe though, sound the the squeel tabs are touching the rotors. Usually the noise is most evident when off the brakes and turning.

Good luck

Visiting Guest

03-19-02, 06:30 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Avoid using cheap rotors, they are not worth the "savings" or your life.

Only use good quality American or Canadian made replacements. A little more in initial cost, but well worth it.

03-19-02, 07:00 AM   #6  
I agree with Joe F. use quality brake rotors made in America or Canada. I have seen many cheap foreign rotors warp in a short time that ruined a good set of pads. Plus its your life ridding on the brake. Also use quality brake pads. I have seen cars that has very long stopping distance as they used cheap pads. As they say skydivers dont look for the cheapest parachute available. Good luck on the repairs. Keep us posted.

OM

Search this Thread