could it be my brakes?

Old 03-18-02, 11:33 AM
moesha
Visiting Guest
could it be my brakes?

I drive a 97 Chevy Cavalier - recently I have experienced a semi grinding high pitched squealing (?) noise predominantly when I go to brake, but also, just at random times while driving. What do you all advise?

thanks for your help,
Moesha

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-02, 12:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably the warning feelers scraping the rotors. Time for brakes.

Have it checked out before you ruin the rotors .

Old 03-18-02, 12:23 PM
Noise

I agree with joe by all means have your brakes checked. I do have 2 questions. Is the noise louder the more pressure you put on to the brake pedal? Is the noise as loud, when it occurs when not braking?

Old 03-18-02, 03:11 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
On that car the rotors are about 10 bucks a piece, I would be cheaper to replace them that to have them turned. I do agree with Joe though, sound the the squeel tabs are touching the rotors. Usually the noise is most evident when off the brakes and turning.

Good luck

Old 03-19-02, 06:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Avoid using cheap rotors, they are not worth the "savings" or your life.

Only use good quality American or Canadian made replacements. A little more in initial cost, but well worth it.

Old 03-19-02, 07:00 AM
Lightbulb

I agree with Joe F. use quality brake rotors made in America or Canada. I have seen many cheap foreign rotors warp in a short time that ruined a good set of pads. Plus its your life ridding on the brake. Also use quality brake pads. I have seen cars that has very long stopping distance as they used cheap pads. As they say skydivers dont look for the cheapest parachute available. Good luck on the repairs. Keep us posted.

OM