Brake Light on 94Sable

Old 03-18-02, 11:54 AM
ehetu
Visiting Guest
Brake Light on 94Sable

I've got a 94 Sable with operational running lights, turn indicators, back-up lights and the high brake light.... but the regular brake lights don't light up. Bulbs check OK -- seem to be two-filament bulbs and I can get both filaments to light up.... when I put a volt-meter in the wiring harness (a six-pin job) I get a response when the brakes are applied....

I don't understand why the upper brake light works and the others don't... and the darn bulbs are hard to get at since you have to remove the who tail assembly (the turn light bulbs are easy though)...

Any ideas are appreciated...

Ed.

Old 03-18-02, 12:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because the 3rd light and the body lights are on different circuits (Or may be).

Loose ground or bad brake light switch is a possibility.

Old 03-18-02, 03:55 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Sound like you may actually have a problem with the turn signal switch. How can the brake light switch be bad if you have a third brake light working? However the turn signal switch on a car that uses the same bulb for ts and brake lamp operations can have this problem.

Heres how it works:

When you apply the brakes current goes through the turn signal switch(except third, since it doesn't indicate a turn anyway) and back out to the stop lamp/bulbs.

When apply the brakes with the ts on, the connection is broken and diverted to the ts flasher relay(for the blinking)

If the current does not go through the ts switch you wont get any power to the left or right brake light, just the center..

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: