Auto Trans filter question?

Old 03-19-02, 09:40 PM
Question Auto Trans filter question?

I own a 1970 Chevy C/10 and a 1972 Chevy Impala both with TH 350s. Why does the 70 use a screen filter while the 72 has a felt covered filter? Is there a benefit to using the felt in the 70? As both filters are the same other than that.
Marturo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 03:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
May have been a production change.

Marturo: Go to www.acdelco.com and look up a tranny kit for both. If they are the same, GM has combined styles.

Old 03-20-02, 05:06 AM
Same filter only different

Hi Joe
They are the same filter, only not being a Trans man I was just wondering If I should be using the felt filter on both. You know in one place some one says Yes put a remote spin on type filter on & yet another says you are wasting your money.

You and I know GM . So what is the truth? Of course felt would provide a better filtration. However is it needed or even good to restrict the flow in a fluid enviorn that sees no combustion debris?

This I have been wondering about for sometime now. We all want our machienery to last as long as possable. So did GM have a good Idea with the felt filter? Then back and forth they did like I heard on the drain plug.

I heard that GM droped the drain plug in the trans pan because, people were draining some oil & not changing their filter. So having to take the pan off made them change their filter.

See I can't believe that because I know people, they just would not do either. So if the felt filter is better ,but it requires changing more often, then I want felt on all my TH350s. I'm not lazy I change oils & fluid before they need it.

So that's all I'm wondering is felt better or just not needed? And while I am on the subject. Is it a good idea to run a remote screw on filter or a waste of money?

Marturo

Old 03-20-02, 07:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Marturo:

A tranny cooler is a better idea. Over time, some trannies (like Saturn) have added spin on filters in their design. It makes fluid changed a snap. My Saturn's tranny service is like an oil change.

If you do your tranny oil and filter changes at 25k or less and use good quality stuff, you'd be ok.

Old 03-20-02, 09:36 AM
transman
Visiting Guest
felt is the better filter only if you do intend on servicing regular, the 350 generally has normanl wear particles in the pan. felt filters will restrict quicker starving the pump for oil, if not changed regular, one trans i see this happen too often is fords e40d and a4ld, external screw in filter on thm 350 save your money, not needed, 350 does not have a major problem with stuck valves in valve body. keep servicing atleast every 25,000 miles and i will run out of work
i heard gm removed drain plug to save money

Old 03-20-02, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol

Which hits home the fact that clean fluid and filters are the #1 thing you can do to prolong transmission life.

Sorry Transman . Lol.

Old 03-20-02, 12:06 PM
Sounds good

I guess if we live to be 100 years old, we will still have more questions than answers for the Companies reasons as to why they do what.

Thanks for the good info Guys
Don't worry transman from some of the junk I see from taking the pans off of my new customers tranies, I would say your job is safe. Keep um rolling
Marturo