Maintainance Required Light

Old 03-20-02, 10:58 AM
NormaLynch
Visiting Guest
Maintainance Required Light

How do you shut off the "maintainence required" light on a 1992 Dodge 250 Van. I do my own mechanical work and I know nothing is wrong but the light has come on. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 06:02 PM
you reset it with a scanner just call around to different shops and see how much they charge to reset the light it only takes like 2 minutes so it shouldnt be very much.

Old 03-21-02, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On some vehicles, you simply disconnect the battery and it will reset after five minutes of the cable being off.

Otherwise, BeJay gave you some good advice.

If not, check Alldata.com for the answer (you have to pay for a subscription). Some Chryslers have timed boxed that self destroy, turn on the light and the only way to fix it is to replace the box or pull the plug out.

On 80's Jeeps this is the case.

Old 03-22-02, 07:47 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Put a piece of electrical tape over the light and keep driving that sucker!

Old 03-22-02, 08:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

My friend's father did that with his 89 Jeep. It looks hokey but does the job. Just disconnect the plug at the bottom of the dash and you're all set instead .

That being said, we had to rip the rear bumper off last week as teh supports rotted away. To the dealer for two new brackets

Old 03-22-02, 07:05 PM
ASE DAVE
Visiting Guest
THAT YEAR MOD. MAY HAVE A MAINT CONTROL BOX BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX WITH A 9-VOLT BATTERY AND A RESET SWICTH. NEED TO CHECK THE MANUEL. GOOD LUCK.

Old 03-23-02, 06:42 AM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
only a REDNECK would cover it with tape.

Old 03-23-02, 08:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
While I do agree Rick ,

Alldata states simply in cases like this, "Either a new box must be installed, or simply pull the connector out of the box and tape it out of the way. The light is merely a maintenance reminder".

Back in 1980, some GM cars with computers had an "emissions" flag that would pop up on the speedometer. It was a "fear" light, more than anything else.