88 buick pkave 3800 fi follow up

Old 03-20-02, 12:34 PM
88 buick pkave 3800 fi follow up

well after putting a used mass air flow sens on, and little or no difference i have called, auto zone, napa, advance, carquest, etc and none of them will seend a sensor off to be checked? is there anyplace that does?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 06:38 PM
do not know of any parts store that test mass air flow sensors and if you did find one they would probably have to send it to the ramanufacturer and im sure that would take a week or two.
does your check engine light ever come on?
what style of mass airflow sensor does the car have the one that hose clamps into the air inlet hose or the one that bolts to the throttle body?
i doubt that the mass airflow sensor is causing your problem anyway if it runs better at higher rpm, you may just want to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed, it may be cheaper in the long run than just replacing parts.

Old 03-21-02, 06:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes it has to go to their vendor for testing.

Standard is one vendor that does offer testing of sensors for a fee through their electronics unit.

Old 03-21-02, 08:01 AM
Re: 88 buick pkave 3800 fi follow up

Originally posted by rogerramjet442
well after putting a used mass air flow sens on, and little or no difference i have called, auto zone, napa, advance, carquest, etc and none of them will seend a sensor off to be checked? is there anyplace that does?
i have the one that bolts directly to the throttle body, it runs better somewhat with this sensor(used) tha n it did with the old one. u can crank up sometimes and it idles fine then it may start to miss. if it starts to miss if u get down on it most of the time it will do ok, and later on start again til u rev. it or floor it and clear it out again. my freind runs a salvage yard i only gave 30.00 for the used sen. tks for the input!

Old 03-21-02, 09:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
30 bucks isn't highway robbery, but it's no steal

While it is running, rap on the sensor with the handle blade of a screwdriver. If the car chuggles or wants to quit, the sensor is a bad one.

Old 03-21-02, 05:16 PM
ASE DAVE
Visiting Guest
DONT OVERLOOK THE FUEL PRESSURE REG.--UNHOOK THE VAC. LINE AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO FUEL COMING OUT OF THE VALVE, CHECK FOR WEAK SPARK ARE FUEL IN CRANK CASE. IF YOU DONT FINE ANY OF THE ABOVE ------SAVE TIME AND MONEY AND TAKE IT TO A SHOP-----GOOD LUCK.