94 Ford Explorer Vibration at 60

Old 03-21-02, 03:36 PM
Redwinggirl99
Visiting Guest
Angry 94 Ford Explorer Vibration at 60

Hi,

Been looking for anyone who could tell me what this could be. Been to every dealer under the sun. I have had everything changed or replaced. Nothing works.

I have been told that at one time. Ford new of this problem and had a recall and welded some kind of stabilizer in the rear. But it really didn't help so they pulled the recall.

I have changed tires. 5X. New rims. New brakes. New Bushings new Arm Radius. It's coming from the front. Not the rear. Every mechanic feels the same thing. Is convinced it's one thing. Fixes it and it doesn't work. Finally they get frustrated and tell me they can't help me.

It happens at 60 to 65. If I go 65 and up...fine. Below 60. ok too!

I am so frustrated. I've spent thousands. And I only have 59K miles. I want to dump this truck which is otherwise great, off at Ford Headquarters and tell them to not give it back until its fixed.

My opinion, this problem goes straight to the problem of the roll overs. Constant vibration wears down tires and causes all kinds of traction and control issues.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-02, 06:24 PM
transman
Visiting Guest
redwinggirl99,
do you fell the vibration in the steering wheel, or floorboard, does accelerating or deacelerating (while vibrating) change anything?

Old 03-22-02, 05:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the U joints and shaft axles/bearings been checked? Are the motor mounts sound?

If swapping the tires to front to back didn't "fix" the problem, it's not likely tire and wheel related, so there was some unnecessary expense there .

Check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins that match your problem.

Fords can be full of woes .

Old 03-22-02, 10:30 AM
Redwinggirl99
Visiting Guest
Reply to transman

I have no change when I acelerate or let off the gas. I can be cruising at that speed and and it will vibrate. The only thing I have not tried is actually throwing it in neutral while in 60 and shutting off the motor to see if it still vibrates. Too dangerous I think. I live in a highly populated area.

I have had all the bearing looked at. All seems fine.

Old 03-22-02, 11:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Gotta love Ford . Lol

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/94201536.html

That is the link to the TSB's for your vehicle. I found a few that might pertain to this problem. Have a look and have a Ford dealer print them out for you and check 'em out.

Old 03-22-02, 11:08 AM
Redwinggirl99
Visiting Guest
Reply to Joe

Joe,

I actully was just looking at that. Motor mounts have been highlighted. I seem to recall that my dealer looked at that. But not sure. I will have them look at that again.

Thanks

Old 03-22-02, 11:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the condition of the front end such as ball joints and tie rods? You don't mention any front end work.

60k would be about right for tie rod woes on a 4WD truck. I thought I saw some issue on the Ford TSB's about lubing the tie rods.

Old 03-22-02, 11:26 AM
Redwinggirl99
Visiting Guest
Reply to Joe

I'm sorry I didn't list all items I had checked. Tie Rods were fine according to them. They did look at my front end extensively.

I think really my concern is the dealers around me seem to be incompitant. I really need to find a dependable mechanic. As I said in my earlier post. This truck runs great. I've only had to change the original battery last year. Always starts.

Plus...I never drive it. Thus the reason for 60K miles. Always on top of all maintaince issues. It's really been a great truck. But starting 3 years ago this truck just started vibrating.

One thing..I purchased a Claw foot tub and put it in the back. It's really heavy. It did not vibrate as much at 60. So then it points to the rear. But I don't feel the vibaration in the seat or steering wheel or the pedal. It's really a general vibration all around.

See...it's a ongoing test as such.

Old 03-22-02, 12:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A weight might have fallen off the driveshaft, you could have loose or bad shocks, etc.

Some garages rival dealers for competence, yes.