1988 Honda Civic

Old 03-22-02, 02:56 AM
Visiting Guest
1988 Honda Civic

A relative is giving us a 1988 Honda Civic that's been sitting in her garage for about a year and half. The car ran fine when she first purchased it and now I want to get it in running order. Please suggest what should be replaced before I get this car back on the street.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-02, 04:03 AM
Group Moderator
Well, first off, I wouldn't drive it 2 miles before replacing the timing belt; if it fails you're into $800-1000 real quick. After that, good basic preventive maintenance items - oil & filter change, transmission service, new coolant, new spark plugs. Also good idea to replace all belts and hoses. Wouldn't hurt to get some water remover ("Heet", etc.) in the gas tank. Good luck.

Old 03-22-02, 05:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Complete servicing of all expendables. Belts, hoses, all fluids, filters, tune up items etc.

That's a start.

Drain the fuel tank. The fuel in there is wasted after two years.

Start with the complete freshening (also clean and wax the body and interior) and go from there.

Old 03-22-02, 07:44 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Its free, fill it up with gas, make sure battery is good, and drive that sucker!! It will run forever, don't fix what ain,t broke! If the timing belt breaks scrap the car--but I wouldn't replace it, too much work on a free car.

Old 03-22-02, 08:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol.

I disagree. I did some initial work on my 84 Olds 88 (freebie) to th tune of 600 in parts when I first got it.

Still running, still on the same A/C charge since 1997 when I fixed it and just turned 142,000 miles . I've had the car since 12/96.

TLC now is worth double later on .

Search this Thread