Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Service Engine Soon Light

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 05:27 AM   #1  
Idunnoboutcarz
Service Engine Soon Light

My service engine soon light is on..How serious is this?? What could it possibly be?? I don't want to go to a garage and get scammed out of a bunch of money when they see a woman coming. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 06:02 AM   #2  
ASE DAVE
NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF VEHICAL-ENG.-ALL INFO. THAT YOU CAN GIVE. ANY THING THE VEHICAL IS DOING. CUTTING OUT RUNNING ROUGH ECT. BEFORE WE CAN HELP.

Group Moderator

FL

03-23-02, 07:34 AM   #3  
Generally NOT serious, but you will need to get it checked. No danger of the engine falling out of the car while you're driving. As Dave said, if you post what kind of car and how many miles on it, it will help as some vehicles have histories of failure of certain components. If you are REALLY concerned about being ripped off, have the car diagnosed by someone and tell them in advance that you only want the diagnostics, NOT the repairs. There are even shops now that specialize in diagnostics for that reason (among others; really helps out the backyard mechanic who can do his own repairs, but not the expensive diagnostic equipment.)
You will be charged $50-100 for the service and can then take the diagnosis to whatever shop you want. Keep in mind, of course, that if the diagnosis says oxygen sensor, for instance, and you take it to another shop, they SHOULD check the diagnosis before they change the part. Also if you get a diagnostic done first and post the results here, the pro's can tell you if it's a likely failure and about what to expect to pay to have it repaired. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 07:51 AM   #4  
Idunnoboutcarz
Appreciate the Advice

Thanks for the advice. My car is 96 Corsica. 63000 miles. 4cyl. and the light has been on for 3 days now. I got an oil change 5 days ago and 2 days after that.. the light came on. I also have a squealing noise going on when the car is in motion. Dont know if that info will help. I appreciate any further advice you may have.
Thanks.

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 07:56 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree with these guys and what they have to say.

The squealing could be a worn out drive belt, among other things.

Bring it to a shop that gives free estimates and tell us what they tell you.

Search this Thread