Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

intermitent windshield wipers

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 07:01 AM   #1  
airmech
intermitent windshield wipers

I just bought a 1990 Chev. lumina with a unique problem. The windshield wipers only work when they want to. When the selector switch is on they might work or not and it will come on and go off when it feels like it. The washer is also in cohorts with the wipers. I 've tried to check out the electical circut but without the schematics I'm lost. I would appreciate any and all advice.

Last edited by airmech; 03-23-02 at 12:17 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 08:07 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If the wiper switch is on the turn signal stalk like most GM's, the problem may be there or it may be at the pump.

Does the switch in the column (If so equipped), work smoothly with good clicks and detents?

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 12:19 PM   #3  
airmech
the wiper switch works good, how do I go about checking the pump?

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 08:19 PM   #4  
Joe_F
The signal stalk on many cars is the cause of most woes.

You'd have to check a service manual for how they want you to check the pump (by output or electrically). It's probably not there, the fault likely lies in the column switch more than in the pump.

You could also try to rap on the motor with a rubber mallet when you get this problem. If the motor comes back to life, it's wiped out. Replace it if all the grounds to it check out.

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 06:50 PM   #5  
ASE DAVE
ON THAT 90 MOD. THE WIPER BOARD IS MOUNTED TO THE WIPER. IF YOU GIVE THE WIRING A TUG WHRE THEY PLUG IN AND THE MOTOR WORKS ARE STOPS WORKING IT IS POSS THE WIPER BOARD. REMOVE THE BOARD AND LOOK FOR A BAD CONNECTION, ARE A BAD SOITER CONNECT. GOOD LUCK

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 08:18 PM   #6  
airmech
Thank you Dave, I will give that a try and post the results.

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 08:23 PM   #7  
airmech
Thank you Joe, I will try the hammer trick and post the results

Visiting Guest

03-26-02, 10:41 AM   #8  
airmech
I tried tapping the wiper motor with a hammer and I tugged on the wires where they go into the wiper motor and no results. I removed the covering under the dash so I could get to the wires that go through the steering column. I started to tug on the wires and the wipers started to work but then quit and that is where I am right now. So tomorrow or the day after or when ever I can get a chance to work on it again, I will probley pull the steering wheel and see what I can see. I will keep you posted.

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 07:11 AM   #9  
airmech
The problem has been fixed, I could go thru the steps that I took to diagnose the fix but my fingers would get tired from all the typing. The bottom line is there was a short in the turn signal lever and I changed that and it still is working. (24 hrs.] Thank you all for your help.

Airmech.

Search this Thread