Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

honda civic

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 09:39 AM   #1  
mark75
honda civic

My question is about a 1992 honda civic. On cold damp mornings (temperature above freezing) the car either wont start or is very difficult to start. It has been towed to the shop twice. the first time the plugs were replaced the second time the main relay was replaced. it is still not fixed and the shop can't figure out what is wrong with it because by the time they get it it will start. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 12:59 PM   #2  
chadtoolio
Hi Mark75,

You need three things to make a car run:compression, ignition, fuel

It should be very easy to diagnose seeing how it doesn't start at all at times..

Is the motor in good mechanical shape?

Do you have spark?

Do you have fuel pressure/injector pulse?

Good luck

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 08:13 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I assume you mean it will crank but not run (turn over).

That being said, also check my posts and links in my signature file below. Tell us what you find.

03-24-02, 05:44 AM   #4  
It sounds like you have a bad ignition cables & bad ignition cap & rotor. Check their resistance if they are still on specifications. Good luck on the repairs. Keep us posted.

OM

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 08:21 AM   #5  
Joe_F
True. OM is right. If you can't remember when they were changed, now is the time

Honda has also had woes with igniters and coils of this vintage as well. The shop doing the repairs should know that and check that accordingly

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 11:29 AM   #6  
joelp
I would bet on the fuel pump relay. If the car is not getting fuel it can't start. If the wires are dirty, and have corrosion, you will bet a bad contact.

Visiting Guest

03-25-02, 06:02 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Could be, but...

I lean to ignition troubles when I hear cold/damp and no start.

They tend to go hand in hand, so I agree with OM.

Search this Thread