6 cyl Chevvy

Old 03-23-02, 12:12 PM
zekester
Visiting Guest
6 cyl Chevvy

Just purchased a 1962 Chevrolet Panel Truck (C10)
I'm told the motor is original, recently rebuilt.
Since ordering parts is sometimes a crapshoot, I'm trying to trace down numbers on the motor. Just to the rear of the distributor is a machined surface with the number F0925JC. There is another number on the block-3769716 just above the pan and 3836848 on the head. Both of these numbers are on the passenger side. Anyone have any reference materials on something this dated?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 08:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The F means "Flint Engine plant" and the 925 is likely 9/25/61 for the engine date.

The JC is part of the engine ID.

You could easily find out if it is a the original engine in it. Just take those numbers to any GM dealer with microfiche (not parts computers only..lol).

There is a GM truck microfiche that goes back to about 1936 on trucks and covers up to about 1972. It then goes to parts books from 1973 to 1978 and then another catalog from 1979 to 1984. After that, GM split the parts information by platform.

I know because I have all the old fiche at work

That being said, the parts computers go back to 1973 on light trucks. Anything older is likely only on fiche.

Just tell the dealer to look in the front matter section. There it will likely list the engine stamping codes and casting numbers. You'll then know if it is original or not.

That being said, just look up "Chevy truck engine ID #s" in www.google.com.

Someone is bound to have compiled all this and put it on a website. Should be able to find it in a jiffy.

Vin stamping of engines didn't start till about the late 60's on most GM's.