Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

PCM 1993 Caravan

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 12:23 PM   #1  
bluecanary25
PCM 1993 Caravan

Have 3.0L motor. Darn thing has recent water pump and timing belt replaced. Was running fine.......... Went to start and sounds like no fuel pump (no hum of electric motor),,,,,,,, did On/Off ignition trick for codes and get "12" -- direct battery dis-connect to PCM.

OK. Cleaned battery posts. Checked electrical connections close to battery.

Did not find PCM in engine compartment.......... or under driverside dash. Where did Chrysler hide it for this model? (I want to check if maybe I can fix or burn this sucka in the backyard!!!!)

Would one of ya'll give me a hint?

Thanks.

Bluecanary25

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 08:17 PM   #2  
Joe_F
On many Chryslers, it's under the hood on the left side by the battery. It looks like a snorkel with an electronic board attached.

Ewww, 3.0L engine . Lol.

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 09:21 PM   #3  
bluecanary25
Hi Joe, Thank you for the response.

My battery is on driver side and intake for aircleaner is on that 'fender-well',,,, there is a 2 x 6 cable cluster held in place w/8mm bolt. Took this off and is a collection of wires that end in a harness plug comprising of 2 rows of connectors. I don't believe this to be the PCM. I have looked at Haynes book covers '96 to 2000 Caravans and pics show PCM next to battery -- on my '93 ain't nothin looks like it, in engine compartment or visible under dash close to brake pedals. This is why I am confused ----- I can't find anything that looks like should be PCM. I also have Nissan p/u and easy to find 'PCM' on left inside fender, next to battery,,,,, I have a clue as to what to look for, just can't find anything that looks like it!!

Even my wife looked (she is VERY mechanically inclined; she's the one that fixes the washer/dryer and vacum cleaners at home!), and she did not find anything similar to PCM. BTW - She also has superior spatial perception -- just stops and plucks 4 leaf clovers, says they stand out from the rest...... Don't ask, I just live with her.....LOL

Bluecanary25

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-23-02, 09:26 PM   #4  
That cable you removed was attatched to the PCM. That's it, tucked in the fender on the driver side, black plastic odd shaped box, wiring harness attatched with an 8 mm bolt through the center of the connector.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 09:34 PM   #5  
bluecanary25
Thank you Cheese.

In the morn' will attempt to follow the cable.
Hope I can find why engine will not start, or clear this '12' code for PCM.

Cars too expensive and big to have 4 or 5 sitting around the house to experiment with and to learn how they function.........not like computers now.

Again, thank you for this information.

Bluecanary25

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-23-02, 09:45 PM   #6  
You might want to check the ASD relay. It will shut down the fuel pump without setting a code in the pcm. It should be on the firewall, but I don't know which one it is. Check fuses and fusible liks, ground cables, and all that good stuff too.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 09:51 PM   #7  
bluecanary25
Will do so Cheese.

Again, Thank you!!! Have a good night.

Bluecanary25

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 08:32 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Ah old Joe still has his marbles.

Many a Chrysler computer damaged after being hit in that corner. Dopey spot to put it IMO. It's ripe to get squished and damaged there.

Then again, it's not one of those "Nice Reliant Automobiles" as the NYS lottery jingle song says. Lol. However it is based on one . Lol.

You can bring that periscope looking thing to any parts store and they should be able to send it out for testing to determine if it is ok or not. I read somewhere that the pins and connectors get damaged over time or the seal around the connector cracks.

Cheese gave you some good ideas too.

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 09:16 AM   #9  
bluecanary25
Joe_F,

Thank you. I have also been following your links to manuals. Very informative; shame I lack training/experience to fully inderstand, such is life.

Now I see the PCM! Will attempt to remove/clean contacts and examine. Saw a bit of dirt buildup.

From Cheese, I will attempt to replace ASD and fuel pump relays.
Or will do what I can........... Wish this was a simple as reloading operating system......... LOL

Bluecanary25

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 11:45 AM   #10  
bluecanary25
Just a follow-up:

Checked ASD, fuel pump relay and the other three relay switches on fender wall. I removed the retaining bracket and unplugged each, cleaned contacts and Ohm'd them, seem to be ok. Opened PCM interface and cleaned with electrical spray cleaner/dryer.

Still have code '12' before and after trying this. Engine still sounds like not getting fuel; no hum of fuel pump.

Now will research about fuel pump.

I would like to say:
Thank you. For all the very helpful suggestions. I am very pleased to have found this website. It ROCKS!!!

Bluecanary25

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-24-02, 09:49 PM   #11  
The relays can ohm out ok, but still be bad, unless they ohm ok when the trigger wire has voltage applied. The contact points inside the relay could be burned and not connecting. Not saying that is your problem, but don't rule them out until you're sure.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-29-02, 09:12 PM   #12  
bluecanary25
To Joe_F and Cheese,

After attempting your recommendations and not able to resolve problem, I took it to a shop.

Fuel pump is dead; not the fuse or a bad wire -- the pump. Its in the tank............... whose bright idea was this? I undarstand electric pump having advantages over mechanical, but in the tank!?!?

I will have the shop do this. But I digress.

To allthe fine, friendly and helpful people in this forum; Thank You!!

Bluecanary25

Visiting Guest

03-30-02, 06:50 AM   #13  
Joe_F
That's not Chrysler's brainchild, it's the industry's

Vehicles have had fuel pumps in the tanks for years, any modern fuel injected car (and a few carbureted ones) have them in the tank. Some foreign cars use 2 pumps or an inline pump. Depends on the setup of that vehicle.

That being said, a common problem on many Chrysler products is a bad fuel pump connector which will cause it to act like a bad fuel pump. But, the pump is probably wiped out on that. As I recall, that year Caravan uses a pump incased in a plastic module. A bit pricey.

You would probably be able to handle it yourself with some tools, patience and some knowledge .

Visiting Guest

03-30-02, 02:36 PM   #14  
trendar
From what I recall, the code 12 is normal code output for an engine off condition (not running). I think that was a "no distributor pulses" condition, which is normal if the car isn't running-

Search this Thread