Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

help with window tint removal

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 01:34 PM   #1  
randyhjackson
help with window tint removal

I need some advice on removing window tint from the windows on my car. The tint is old and is peeling and bubbling. The rear window is where I have the most problems because the tint is bubbled to a point it can not been seen through. I also have a defroster on the rear window and do not want to mess that up. Any friendly advise?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 08:07 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Be careful around the back window around the grid...but you knew that.

The problem is not so much the old tint as it is the goo it leaves behind. Take a razor and scrape and grab a corner. Then peel as best you can.

It's a tedious job. Heating the tint film with a dryer might help. I would then use Goof Off or some other residue remover to remove the goo it leaves behind.

Old Joe thinks aftermarket tint on most cars is major hokey pokey ugly looking and more trouble than it's worth in most cases. Factory tint is fine .

03-24-02, 07:57 PM   #3  
I had the same problem last year when I owned a rice burner (200SX). I made the youthful mistake of adding tint and of course it bubbled. I took it off before I sold the car. Its a tough job getting all that residue off. Most tint/stereo place will take it off for $10 a window if the glue proves to be too much (I had too). May pay off for the the rear window at least, saves the defroster.

Search this Thread