ford probe vibration

Old 03-23-02, 01:39 PM
robintabby
Visiting Guest
ford probe vibration

I have a 93, 4cyl, manual, Ford Probe. When you go down the road it vibrates very bad in the front end. I took it to an automotive shop and they said it was the hub. They replaced the hub for $100.00 and said that it was the problem. When I brought it home, the vibration was still not fixed. I have had the tires rotated and balanced and put the correct amount of air in them and it only helped a tad bit. It vibrates when you mash the gas and when you slow down quickly. It wont vibrate when it is going 1 mph-35 mph. I can only drive it to about 60 mph before the vibration becomes very bad. It is like you are riding through the woods or over rocks, at higher speeds. can anyone please tell me what it could be or how i can fix it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't say how many miles on the car, but my suspicion would be one or both front axles. Had a similar problem on my wife's '95 Camry at about 110k miles. First thing to check would be the rubber boots covering the cv joints to see if they are still intact. When they split and lose all the grease, failure is not far behind.

Old 03-23-02, 08:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree, also could be other problems.

Joe says: Back to the first guy you paid and tell him his repair did not fix your problem. Refund your green for the first repair or do what repairs the car this time for free to do it right.

Old 03-24-02, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Right, Joe, as I often note here any reputable shop should compensate in some way for having to repair a problem that wasn't fixed the first time through no or reduced labor charge, etc.
There are plenty of decent shops out there, so no need to put up with ones that don't stand behind their work and own up when they don't do a proper fix.

Old 03-24-02, 05:35 AM
Lightbulb

I would also suggest to check your inner tie rod ends. Good luck on the repairs. Keep us posted.

OM

Old 03-25-02, 01:56 AM
Ricky_lee30
Visiting Guest
You might have a belt separation in one or more of your tires. They will still balance with a belt separation. What you need to look for is a bald spot or raised spot in your tread. If this is the case then the tire/tires will need replaced.

good-luck