Fuel or Return Line????

Old 03-23-02, 06:20 PM
Question Fuel or Return Line????

In the process of pulling the engine on an 350 (5.7)'89 Suburban. Broke a fuel line which connect's into the throttle body on the bottom right(as you face the engine). Does anyone know whether this is a fuel in or fuel return line???
Being that the engine is being pulled, all the electrical is disconnected so I can't easily power up my fuel pump relay.
HELP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 07:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Follow it back to its origin. Where does it go?

Should be of no concern until the engine is back in. I believe they are rigid lines and will not be able to be crossed up because they are simply lined up a certain way. The dealer should be able to order prebent lines for it if you broke one. Check with their parts department for an illustration to guide you.

Old 03-23-02, 10:10 PM
Back to the unviewable top of the 40 gallon fuel tank.

Old 03-23-02, 10:12 PM
I should have mentioned, it goes back to the fuel tank along with another line that goes to the other side of the throttle body.

Old 03-24-02, 12:26 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Take a good look at the lines. You'll notice that one is bigger than the other. The larger of the 2 lines is the fuel supply line. The smaller line is the return line.

You can repair the broken line by splicing in a replacement line (available in bulk lengths from 6-60")from your local auto parts store. Make sure you DOUBLE FLARE the connections for a tight, safe seal.

Compression fittings and/or rubber hose & hose clamps should never be used to repair a broken fuel line on an EFI vehicle.

Old 03-24-02, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the quick response!

Maybe a stupid question, but why would you not use compression fittings on a fuel line???
Stainless compression fittings of this size will withstand pressures in excess of 300 psi. How good is that GM fuel pump????
Is there a reason I'm not seeing???

This hose is one of the expensive that converts from a SS braid to SS hard tube. I'm going to call the Chevy Dealer and be sure to be sitting down for the price quote.

Old 03-24-02, 08:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because compression fittings will back out, loosen and leak over time. Hokey pokey fittings. Use 'em under your sink, not under your hood.

Believe it or not, I bought fuel and return lines for a fuel injector project at work on the Vortec truck. I had to order the lines for Engineering. I do not recall them being that expensive.

Again, Fine Lines, Inline Tube or Classic Tube flare up lines for old cars and can do just about any line if sent the old one. They made up a perfect fuel pump to carb. line on my 79 T/A. Right on!

Call GM, and then call those three and compare. Old Joe replaces with new when he can. While I agree with Knuckles (that is the proper way to repair it), connections look hokey in the engine bay when they don't belong.