Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 ford ranger knocking

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 10:22 AM   #1  
james gallagher
92 ford ranger knocking

i just bought a 1992 ranger , runs great but every once in a while it knocks lightly, it runs great and no power loss or backfiring, drives like new but worried about this knock , could it be the timing sensor , the motor is a v6 3.0l with a 5speed transmission , the motor has 206,056 km's on it, i was wondering also if i should use some slick 50, have never used the stuff but heard mixed stories , please help , thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 01:36 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Knock could be due to carbon build up or it could be a bad motor.

GM I know makes a top engine cleaner and Ford might as well. That would remove the carbon in the motor.

Check for any trouble codes in the computer at my post and links in my signature file.

An oil pressure check with a hand held gauge would be a good idea for a start as well.

If an oil pressure check reveals oiling problems, pitch it for another truck unless there is something great about this particular Ranger . If not, better to find a better unit than to have this one soak you for a lot of green.

Slick 50 will net you zero benefit. Leave all those additives on the shelf and save your money. Not needed.

Let us know what you find.

Search this Thread