Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing heater core in a Chevy Cavalier

Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 05:41 PM   #1  
mykluck
Repairing heater core in a Chevy Cavalier

I have a 1990 Chevy Cavalier which was nice enough to dump all its coolant on me after I parked at My folks Retirement community. After checking the heater hoses, I felt hot coolant leaking out from the gasket that leads through the firewall to the heater core. I beleive the core is toast. Pep Boys offers the core for $25. I've looked inside and found a trickle of coolant coming down from under the dash. I beleive its relatively easy to access the core. I haven't tried yet. Are there any other parts I need on that side of the firewall besides the core? Is anyone able to describe the procedure for me? I plan to do the repair on Good Friday. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-24-02, 08:43 PM   #2  
bluecanary25
Be best if went to parts store and got a repair manual for your vehicle. Look for Joe_F posting. He has links to very informative site. Also many nice people here.

I did a 86 Cavalier several years ago without a manual, not fun. Have a lot of patience, not much space to work; dark and uncomfortable. If you have friend or significant-other that is used to cussing, second set of hands very useful. LOL Also couple pack of smokes and 6-pack.

Before you get into the repairs,,,, Check to see if core pipe thru firewall is broken or rubbed thru. My leak from PLASTIC pipe rubbed thru. so you may want to figure how to protect core.
Be careful removing heater cowl in passenger compartment, '86 breaks easy. Have good flashlight and extra batteries.

Manual for you model will have better info. Good luck.

Bluecanary25

Visiting Guest

03-25-02, 05:51 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Here I am (waves over here).

Check the links in my signature file for one. I agree with the Birdman (Canary guy..lol) on the repair manual.

Visiting Guest

03-25-02, 07:31 PM   #4  
mykluck
Crappy Heater core

Thanks Blue Canary, I appreciate the heads up. I have some one who'll be glad to hear me cuss. And thanks for the referral to Joe Cool....

Happy Holidays.

Mike

Group Moderator

FL

03-25-02, 07:47 PM   #5  
Concur on the 6 pack; also have a second 6 pack in reserve and don't make too many plans for Saturday!

Visiting Guest

03-26-02, 05:16 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Nah, beer dehydrates you and makes you stupid when you try to accomplish anything. Lol.

Substitute ice tea or a cool glass of water. Cajole a helper into assisting you, you're going to need it.

Take frequent breaks and frequently look at your repair manual (You do have one, right?????) to make sure you are on track.

Good luck.

Group Moderator

FL

03-26-02, 05:18 AM   #7  
Right, beer dehydrates you which you fix by......drinking more beer, LOL.

Search this Thread