90 Voyager

Old 03-25-02, 03:00 PM
Zorkbang
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 90 Voyager

Have 90 voyager with 2.5L 4-cyl. This was purchased used. It has a Dynasty engine in it. problem is it has totally fried 3 ECM's over the past 2 years. they "SMOKE" for no apparent reason.The first died shortly after I got the machine. Second after about a year. last one ( which was a salvage) lasted about 3000 miles. I have another new one at a cost of $160.00. But don't understand why it fries them. By "fry" I mean smoke poors out of computer. the last time it did this the voltage meter went haywire then all electrical power quit. When i tapped battery post the computer smoked. this was after it had done the same thing previously and I had cleaned posts and replaced clamps. It worked fine for about 4 hrs after repair. When I replaced it with newest one it ran at idle for aprox 30 min then just shut off. no power to cab at all. Unplugged heavy cable with plug in connector from battery that manual says feeds to alternator and fuse block and reconnected it and started up fine. Battery tests and works fine in old ford cargo van.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-02, 03:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There is likely a short or dead ground in the electrical system, or some sort of overload. Time for professional repair, unless you have a good service manual and diagnostic chart .