Automotive wire color codes

Old 03-25-02, 08:23 PM
dwntwntylrman
Visiting Guest
Automotive wire color codes

Hey, I need some help. I want to do some mild electrical work under the dash of my car but I can't seem to find a list of the color codes for the wires anywhere. A good general page for various vehicles would be nice and help other people but if that's not available the specific vehicle is a 1991 Honda Prelude 2.0Si. More specific would be the head light warning alarm, the seat belt warning alarm, and the wire(s) for the running lights. Thanks for any help. -Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-02, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
You're going to need a repair manual with a good wiring diagram for that one (Haynes, Chilton, etc), or, if you purchase their subscription, you can get AllData info on your specific vehicle on-line (not sure if they have Honda).

Old 03-26-02, 05:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Definitely need a wiring diagram...no doubt about it. Colors change year by year for even the same model.

Best bet is the Honda service manual. Try the links in my signature file for some ideas...

Old 03-26-02, 06:18 AM
Your best bet is the factory wiring manual like Joe suggested. And then you should test each wire with digital volt meter to be sure that the wire does what the manual says. Manufacture have bad habit of changing things after production has began.
I use to do custom alarm installs and the colors didnt always match the books. So always test before taping a wire with digital volt meter, never use the old light probles or analog meter. They draw to much current and will damage computers, senors and depoy air bags.