Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starts if used often

Visiting Guest

03-25-02, 09:19 PM   #1  
artie
starts if used often

81 dodge ram 350 3/4 ton van; 318 motor, auto, 4bbl.

it wont start without priming if left parked for 3 days or longer, is it the fuel pump or the float bowl cracked?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-26-02, 05:13 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely a bad fuel pump. Chrysler carburetion is the rock bottom pits .

Check your fuel pump output with a gauge. Barring that, probably time for a carburetor rebuild.

Visiting Guest

03-29-02, 12:40 AM   #3  
knuckles
1. Please keep all replies in the same thread.

2. Fuel pump pressure can be checked with a fuel pump pressure/vacuum gauge. You can pick one up at your local auto parts store for $10 or less, or you can use any gauge with a scale of 0-10 psi.

3. Please read Joe_F's signature file. It contains links to sites that will provide you with the information and specifications you need.

Visiting Guest

03-29-02, 05:40 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree.

You can also rent the gauge at any retail parts store with a tool rental program.

Check my signature file for more ideas.

I will close the other post as it is a duplicate.

Visiting Guest

03-29-02, 08:58 PM   #5  
trendar
In addition to the pressure check while running, you can also see if the pressure drops over time when it sits while off; may be a problem with the pump allowing the fuel to drain back, since you say it happens only when sitting for a while without starting, but otherwise works okay if started often enough.

Visiting Guest

03-30-02, 06:58 AM   #6  
artie
these are interestingtips and I will use them as soon as my 25th wedding anniversary party is over, on momday april 1st, thanks.

Visiting Guest

03-30-02, 07:00 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Good luck and happy Anniversary

Search this Thread