Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no heat in side car

Visiting Guest

03-27-02, 07:00 AM   #1  
ead
no heat in side car

My 89 Sunbird LE heater does not seem to blow very much heat inside the car in winter. How can I tell if just the thermostat is wrecked (exactly where is it on an 89 Sunbird LE?) or if the heater core or hoses are damaged?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-27-02, 09:49 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If you can't recall the last time you changed the stat, it's now time.

Typically it is located in the engine block where the upper radiator hose goes into the block. On some models of GM it is in the filler neck of the radiator area. Depends on the year and engine. A quick call to a dealer's part dept. will net its location.

That being said, warm up the car and turn the heat on. Touch the heater hoses that go from the engine to the firewall. Are the hoses hot? If they are, the problem is with the blend door inside the vehicle. If they aren't you have a clogged core or a bad thermostat...or other cooling system issues. Might be low on coolant.

Visiting Guest

05-21-02, 08:12 AM   #3  
ead
no heat inside car

I changed the thermostat but the car still had no heat and it seems that the moter is running cold. Also, there seems to be a substancial anti-freeze leak from somewhere on the motor. The garage that I took it too thought that the water pump was not working properly(but if that was the case would not the motor run hot and not cold). I did not change the water pump but added some of that radiator stop leak thinking perhaps the head gasket was leaking. It does not seem to have solved the problem of the leak or the "no heat in the car". My father in law suggested that the head was warped and that I need to get it planed. I checked the oil but it was not cloudly. Can you tell me how to figure out if 1)the leak is indeed caused by a faulty water pump or 2)if the heads are warped and need to be planed and if that would also cause there to be no heat inside the car?

On another note, the oil light comes on every once in a while (usually when you brake to come to a stop) but then goes out when you accelerate. Is it just a faulty sensor or is the oil pump not working properly?

Visiting Guest

05-21-02, 08:15 AM   #4  
Joe_F
It could be the car stalling or it could be an oil pressure problem.

Fill the oil to the proper level. If it still comes on, have the oil pressure checked.

A leaking water pump will usually show a trail of coolant or dried coolant at the weep hole. The bearing might also be loose or the pump is noisy.

Any mechanic should be able to check either and see what the problem is.

Stopleak does more harm than good. There is no fix in a can...it must be fixed the right way.

Search this Thread