Lemon Honda Civic

Old 03-27-02, 07:45 AM
Lemon Honda Civic

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with their 1995 Honda Civic. It is an LX with a 4 cylinder. Just before the end of the warranty a new short block was installed by the dealer because of repeated ticking sounds which they could not isolate. That was at around 40000 miles and 3 years. At 90000 I had to have the head gasket replaced (done by the same dealer-not under warranty). There was no indication of overheating that would have caused a warp. I got the impression from the service advisor that this was not the first time this model had a problem like this.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-02, 08:16 AM
only probs i know of as far as head gaskets on hondas are some of the older crx's

replaced the whole short block b/c of some ticking? sounds generous of them!

why was gasket replaced? milky oil?

Old 03-27-02, 08:47 AM
The ticking was persistent, they tried just the bearings first and then the short block. A good dealer, took us a few trips and riding with them going "that noise" but once they recognized it, and the bearings did not work, put the short block in with no fuss.
Yeah, coolant into oil.

Old 03-27-02, 09:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most Hondas develop oiling problems when they get up there, but the question is how regular were you with your maintenance?

That among other things is a contributing factor. You might also look at www.alldata.com and see if there are known bulletins on your problems.

It's not a "lemon" per se if the dealer made good on all the repairs. It's when they stick you with the repairs and the vehicle doesn't last as long as it should.

Old 03-27-02, 10:20 AM
You are right of course, lemon is too strong of a word. It is mostly the disappointment of having one of the most reliable brands of cars have major problems despite all scheduled maintenance done at the dealer. Of course nothing mechanical is perfect either. That is why I was curious if anyone else had a similar experience with this model.

Old 03-27-02, 10:33 AM
Joe_F
I looked at the All Data site-very interesting, thanks. I also found it interesting that Honda/Acura has requested no consumer access to complete TSB and service info. What is their angle?

Old 03-27-02, 10:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I guess, and just a guess:

1) Either they don't want to show the amount of problems they have ,
2) They feel that they don't want to give that information out, and you should have to pay for even the titles to the bulletins (bad move in my opinion).
3) They simply don't know how to make money on information like other car makers do ,
4) Honda of Japan perhaps dictates that the information doesn't go outside the dealer realm.

In any event it is bad doings for the consumer who might want to find out simply what is needed to fix his or her problem. Another reason there are no Honda products in my fleet .

Old American for me, all the way .