1996 Lincoln towncar warning light

Old 03-27-02, 08:22 PM
bobbybama
Visiting Guest
Question 1996 Lincoln towncar warning light

The warning light " check air suspension " comes on and stays on..If I change the blown fuse it stays off for less than 100 miles, comes on again and will come and go intermetantly. (sp?) THen will come on again to stay until I change the fuse again. Obviously, I need to take care this as a blown fuse is an indication of some other more serious problem...but WHAT IS IT? My wife says that the left rear side looks lower than the other...Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-02, 09:51 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The compressor is probably on its way out. This is *probably* due to a leaking Left Rear air spring.

An ammeter can confirm the compressor motor current draw & a soap & water solution can identify a leaking air spring. New parts are available from your local Ford dealer and many online parts wholesalers.

Get a good (OEM) service manual before you try to tackle this job yourself....the system isn't especially complex, but there are a few safety precautions & special procedures you'll need to know about. The manual will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 03-28-02, 05:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Another droopy Ford. I think that air bag system is terrible. The spring system used on the Crown Vic is far superior.

I teased my coworker when his 87 Continental left him flat.....errr, air bag flat that is. I always give him good natured ribbing about that.

I agree with Knuckles on the factory literature. You can also try using a subscription to Alldata.com for the factory type literature...but the original Ford service manual is probably more detailed.

Old 03-28-02, 08:32 AM
If you complain enought the dealer will fix the air ride system for you. My father used to have a 96 Continental and his went. He told the dealer "I don't care if the warranty is up, I bought the car BECAUSE it rides smooth, and the one part of this car that isn't found on a regular Ford shouldn't burn out." They eventually caved.