Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dome Light OverRide?

Visiting Guest

03-27-02, 11:22 PM   #1  
ccroel
Dome Light OverRide?

I work for a security company and sometimes use my own vehicle (1994 Chevy Lumina Sedan) for surveillance.

I currently use tactics set by law enforcement agencies by disabling my interior lights (main dome and reading lamps) but only by disconnecting the wire on the mirror and taking the bulb out of the dome.

I need a way to install a toggle switch that regulates whether or not I want the lights to come on when I open the door, since I do need the lights sometimes.

If somebody knows how to do this, or knows of companies that will do it, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-28-02, 05:42 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Try contacting some police agencies and see what they use.

Signal Stat is one company that makes commercial lighting. They were owned by Federal Mogul, I believe they were sold.

Might want to take a ride to your police precinct. See if you can see the name on the light bar. Call that company and try them.

That being said, just wire up a toggle switch to the wire that triggers the light being on. Might have to remove the door pin switches (that turns the lights on when you open the door) and wire up your own contraption for turning the lights on demand.

Get a wiring diagram for the vehicle to guide you. See the link in my signature file for some ideas.

03-28-02, 08:37 AM   #3  
www.galls.com carries police and vehicle gear. They sell special overhead domes, you can even get the kind that give off the red glow for better reading and less visibility by others. They're a good compnay, I've ordered from them many times.

Search this Thread