97 safari cooling fan

Old 03-28-02, 03:53 PM
sjlabash
Visiting Guest
97 safari cooling fan

Hi,

I am having difficulties removing the cooling fan on a 1997 safari. I believe it is a clutch-type fan. I have loosened the bolts on the back of the fan and on the pulley and it appears that these bolts only remove the fan from the clutch and the pulley from the water pump. There is a spacer between the water pump and fan that is shaped like a nut, but I could not get it to turn from the water pump. This spacer does spin separate from the fan/clutch.

Does anyone know how to remove this type of fan?

thank you.

sam

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-02, 05:41 PM
that spacer is a nut that has to be removed to get fan and clutch assembly off they make a tool for removing check your parts store to see if you can rent one, some of them are reverse threaded.

Old 03-29-02, 12:46 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow asked and answered

The search function on this forum is a powerful tool. See the link below.

Fan clutch tool

Old 03-29-02, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree.

Check with a company called Lisle tools. They have such tools. Most retailers stock their product.

There are other companies that make such tools as well.

Old 03-30-02, 04:52 PM
sjlabash
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Thank you for all the info. I was able to get the fan off by using a pipe wrench on the nut/spacer and a crescent wrench on 2 of the bolts holding the pulley to the water pump. I backed out the screws about 1/2 inch to get the end of the crescent wrench over one screw and held the arm of the wrench against the other. I damaged the threads on the screws, but I imagine they are much cheaper than the tool. I also used some steel rods levereged against the tools to give me the force needed to break the nut's hold.

Also, I did use the search tool. but it did not find anything for a 97 safari. Since I do not work on cars daily, I would not be comfortable in assuming the process to remove a 99 blazer fan/clutch is the same as a 97 safari. Thanks again.

sam

Old 04-01-02, 04:40 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The tool is cheaper than the aggravation and the chance of getting hurt.

Lisle makes this tool and I am sure I have seen it in the Craftsman line at Sears, if not in the Lisle line they sell there.

Autozone also rents tools for free, which would have been another option.

Old 04-01-02, 05:19 PM
sjlabash
Visiting Guest
You are absolutely right about safety. I appreciate all your and the other repliers' help. Thanks again.