95 subaru legacy/noisy valvetrain

Old 03-29-02, 04:55 AM
yokie
Visiting Guest
95 subaru legacy/noisy valvetrain

my girlfriends subaru legacy all of the sudden got really noisy. it sounds like a collapsed lifter or excessive noise in the valve train when i checked the oil i found it to be a quart and a half low. i filled it to the full mark hoping to qiet it down but it didnt. anyone have any ideas?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-02, 05:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it ran low on oil it might have wiped a lifter out in the process.

Does it sound like the top end or the bottom end? Does it leak oil or burn it?

Old 03-29-02, 05:44 AM
yokie
Visiting Guest
the sound is definitely in the top end if a collapsed lifter is the culprit will an oil change help
thanks

Old 03-29-02, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Doubt it. Running low on oil is not a good thing. You can surely try it, but it's not likely to fix the problem.

Check the links in my signature file to make sure that the valves are not of the adjustable type on this thing. If they are, start there. If not, pull off the valve cover and have a look if an oil change doesn't help.

An oil change is a PREVENTATIVE maintenance task, not a catastrophic one .

Old 03-29-02, 06:00 AM
yokie
Visiting Guest
thabks ill give that a try
have a great day

Old 03-30-02, 05:45 AM
I read your Subaru noise problem and couldn't help but reply to it. I have had the same problem before on a couple Subs. that I have owned. You can try an oil thickener called Morey's Oil, but to make a real fix, I think that you will have to replace the oil pump. I'll make a guess and say that you have about 130 to 150K on this engine? This is about the mileage that I've had when the problem began for me...... I have replaced these pumps before, may be a little too much for you unless you have been into doing timing belts and repairs such as this....The pump should run you about $150 depending on the dealership, and probably take around 3-4 hours to change depending on your handiness. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-01-02, 08:44 AM
yokie
Visiting Guest
thanks toni i'll consider that were you able to test the oil pressure where the sending unit is or did you just guess and change it hopeing to solve the problem the repair is well within my means, however i now need to decide which is going to be more of a pain in th arse the collapsed lifter or the oil pump. you were however right on the milage it is about 150k
have a great day and thanks again

Old 04-01-02, 02:05 PM
I don't know if the oil pressure is so much the issue as is the volume of oil being pumped. All I know is the first time it happened to me I got the run-around from the dealership. Well, I finally got to talk to the shop foreman in person one day and he said the only sure-fire way to solve this problem was to repalce the oil pump, so I bought one and put it in and the clatter went away......
For me the noise and the looks (from passerbyes) I got were enough, I knew I just had to make some kind of repair.Good Luck.

Old 04-02-02, 05:07 AM
yokie
Visiting Guest
thanks again toni ill try that
have a great day

Old 04-02-02, 06:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can rent a oil pressure gauge from retailers like Autozone to check the pressure. Compare it to the specs in the service manual/links in my signature file and you'll know if you have an oil pressure problem or not.

The oil pump is the likely candidate (or a clogged pick up screen) for low oil pressure. Lack of maintenance will cause it to get clogged up with junk (Mostly lack of quality oil and frequent oil changes)