oil pressure

Old 03-30-02, 10:29 AM
BOBBY COTTON
Visiting Guest
oil pressure

I HAVE 96 OLDS CUTLASS CIERA WITH A 3.1 ENGINE. THE OIL PRESSURE IS SHOWING 25 PSI. BUT THE LIFTERS ARE MAKING ALOT NOISE . I HAVE PUT NEW LIFTERS AND PUSH RODS NO HELP . IS THIS ENOUGH OIL PRESSURE. ANY HELP PLEASE .

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-02, 10:56 AM
tvstevie
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Since valve lifters require a steady flow of oil to keep them from collapsing it is obvious your lifters are starving for oil due to one or more of the following problems:
1. Clogged or blocked oil passage to the lifter gallery(s).

2. Excessive wear on crankshaft bearings and journals. You may still have decent oil pressure but if the clearances on these bearings and journals are excessive the oil that should be forced up to the lifter gallery spills out of the crank bearings and does not reach the lifters.

3. Excessive wear on camshaft bearings. The lion's share of oil is 1st made available to the crankshaft, the camshaft bearings are next with the lifters being last in line.

Summary, Sounds like engine rebuild or replacement time !!

Old 03-30-02, 11:58 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Are you sure it is the lifters making the noise? I have heard a noise with these GM v-6 engines that sound like lifters but were actually worn rocker arm assemblies or even a cracked flywheel!At what rpm did you have 25psi and what was the engine temp?

Good luck...

Old 03-30-02, 04:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Please kill the caps as we can all hear you loud and clear

I assume you are using a reliable hand held (not the dash) gauge to measure oil pressure.

What's your service manual say the spec is at what RPM?