fuel pump??

Old 03-30-02, 02:26 PM
chasjill
Visiting Guest
fuel pump??

My engine completely died while driving to work. I could restart it, but it idled extremely hard and when I depressed the gas pedal it got no gas. I just put gas in the night before. I was told that I probably had bad gas or that the fuel filter was clogged. I had the car towed home and when I tried to start it at home it wouldn't turn over.

I added an over the counter water remover to the tank and replaced the fuel filter, however the car will not turn over. Could my fuel pump be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-02, 03:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
We need some basic information about the vehicle to help.

Start with the links and posts in my signature file below and go from there.

Old 03-30-02, 05:00 PM
Got Gas?

Hi chasjill, welcome
Have you taken the the fuel line loose from your. What is it a carburator , or fuel injection? Well both have fuel lines, that you can take loose and put into a glass jar, and crank to see if you have fuel coming from the pump.

Did you check for spark? Has it given you any warnings, at all before this happened? What kind of car is it? what year? Do you think it is fuel related? Or something else.

Give us as much info as you can, so we are on the same tune
Marturo

Old 03-30-02, 06:54 PM
chasjill
Visiting Guest
Sorry....It is a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Approx. 6-8 weeks ago the crank sensor went and I had it replaced. At the same time I had all the spark plugs checked. Hate to sound ignorant, but they replaced the distributor (???) and the spark plugs and wires.

It was running fine after this. The engine literally shut down while I was going 55 mph. It cranked several times right after it died, but several hours later, would not turn over.

If you need more info, let me know.

Old 03-30-02, 07:28 PM
Do you?

Do you want to try and do it yourself? If so are you equiped with tools, and a manual. Also when you say crank over. Do mean, it will not turn over, or catch?

Did you go through the basics like Joe suggested to narrow down our search? Often these things can be simple to fix , the hard part is finding where to start.

Can you turn the engine over? If not . Do you have a battery charger? Can you check for fuel by removing the fuel line and checking for flow? Do you know how to check for spark? How old is your battery? Date is punched out on top.

Marturo

Old 03-31-02, 05:35 AM
chasjill
Visiting Guest
Actually, I think this is more than I can handle. Changing the fuel filter was one thing, but I don't know about the other stuff. It sounds like I need to have it towed somewhere and looked at.

Thanks for you help though.

Old 03-31-02, 06:59 AM
chasjill
Visiting Guest
I got it started this morning. It runs really rough sometimes and cuts off and runs smooth sometimes.

????????

Old 03-31-02, 01:17 PM
Water?

It is just possable you got a good build up of water. Now where I live in Western NC, we could have a 70 degree day, with a 30 degree night. that leads to water condensation in the gas tank. Of course this happens no matter where you live.

I reccomend to all my clients, that they treat their fuel system, with 4 OZs of denatured alcohol, every other month with a full tank of gas.

The reason I reccomend, Denatured Alcohol is that it is pure Alcohol, and not the watered down tricks, that you find in the auto parts section. Any hardware store, Lowes, or Building supply has it in quarts and gallions.

If you follow this routine, you will remove all water before it builds up to a problem & it will clean your Carb or fuel injectors, and keep them clean. Do not use more than 4 OZs in less than 10 gallons of gas.

Remember also that adding alcohol does not make the water go away, it makes the waterhol mix with the gasoline. Your car could run a little rough, as this fuel burns away.

So no more often, than every other month & this will keep your fuel system clean & water free.

Well let's hope, that was all it was, and you can get back on the road safe & sound.

Marturo

Search this Thread