Fix-Up of 1985 Nissan Stanza

Old 03-30-02, 05:28 PM
zeringue
Visiting Guest
Fix-Up of 1985 Nissan Stanza

As I was preparing to fix-up this auto, I was careless in reversing cables to the battery, causing a "poof" for a second or two before I could remove the cables. After the "poof" I installed to the correct terminals but didn't hear the familiar "ping, ping, ping" sound that the open door would make, nor would lights come on, or any other sign of life. Hopefully, there's a blown fuse somewhere, but I've checked those under the dash, and all those are "good". I'd appreciate help from anyone who might know what to look for (possibly a fuse under hood near battery?....so far, I've not been able to locate a fuse under the hood).

Thanks much for your help!!! (Other than being in need of a front boot, and a couple other minor repairs, this auto is in near-mind condition with about 100,000 miles.)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-02, 05:38 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
When I worked at the Nissan Dealer, I had the unpleasant opportunity of working on a Nissan pickup with the same problem and it wasn't pretty. Both Ign. coils, ECM, Radio etc...

Can't recall whether that car was injected or not. If it is your probably in for a big job.. You would have to start testing circuits starting at the battery, Fusible links, Fuses, etc...

Good luck

Old 03-30-02, 05:55 PM
zeringue
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Chad, for your quick response. The car is EFI, and I sort of figured it's going to be tough to troubleshoot....seems that they don't make those cars so easy to troubleshoot. I know a fuse when I see one, but could you clue me in on where the fusible links are located? Many thanks!

Old 03-30-02, 09:27 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
There should be a small black plastic box under the hood. It's called a "relay center" & it houses several relays and fusible links. If you're lucky, the links will have blown before any major damage was done.

Old 03-31-02, 08:48 AM
zeringue
Visiting Guest
Car starts and radio works but interior/exterior lights/horn don't work. Luckily, I purchased the factory manual (ugggghh) when I bought the car in 1985, which means I can at least pretend I know what I'm doing. Thanks, guys, for your help!