1989 Toyota Camry brake light problem

Old 03-31-02, 06:29 PM
lenakayespeaks
Visiting Guest
Angry 1989 Toyota Camry brake light problem

I recently bought a 1989 Toyota Camry LE 4-door, 4 cylinder, automatic with cruise, ABS, power steering, power locks and windows. For some reasons the brake lights do not work. I checked the fuses ( all of them! under hood and inside driver panel) also replaced all the bulbs with new. I still have no brake lights and the dash light indicator continuously shows a little car with the back light problem. What can I do? I would like to know if there is a stop switch attached to the brake pedal and if so how do I check it and/or replace if it is bad. Can I get a diagram and directions on this part...I think it is called an actuator switch? Also, if anyone has any other useful information as to what may be the culprit please let me know. Possible a relay or a link? In the meantime...I am going learn how to stand on my head! I think that position will come in handy in checking the switch. LOL

Thanks a bunch!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-02, 11:05 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The switch is working properly. You know this because the "lamp out" warning indicator is coming on.

You need to check for power and ground at each stop lamp socket. You can do this with a cheap 12V test lamp.

Also verify that the correct bulbs were installed. A 1989 Camry should use 1156 bulbs for the stop lamps. 1157 bulbs look similar but will not work.