Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

choosing the right brake flued

Visiting Guest

04-01-02, 05:48 AM   #1  
roohcat
choosing the right brake flued

I need to buy brake flued to put into my car and I am not sure how to. I also need to put it in and I havae the picture you have on you internet so I hope I understand how to check it and put it in. Any how I dive a 1986 Omega. I hope you can help me. The car was a gift so I don't have a direction mannule.HELP ME PLEASE! :

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-01-02, 04:25 PM   #2  
Joe_F
There is no 1986 Omega. 1984 is the last year for it.

Suggest you go to the parts store first and get a repair manual and learn the basics before proceeding any further.

Most GM cars of that vintage use DOT 3 fluid. Look on the master cylinder reservoir cap or the owner's manual for the correct type.

If you have to add brake fluid, that means there is a hydraulic leak or brake service is needed...seek professional help if you have doubts about your abilities after reading the repair manual.

Visiting Guest

04-01-02, 04:50 PM   #3  
Bob Manthei
Get it Right (Brake Fluid)

I agree with Joe. Find a manual and at least look at the pictures if you don't read it. Check out the library for one. Also check out Joe's links they are good.

Lay down on the ground and look under the car. Wet oilly spots on the inside on the tires or the wheel area is a good indication that something could be leaking.

Be sure that you get the right fluid! I just had to replace parts on my vehicle. It was most likely due to the fact that the place I let change my engine oil put the wrong kind of fluid in.

You can do it

04-01-02, 09:09 PM   #4  
Dot 3 is old tech

With the Disc braking systems of today, as you can see below Dot 3, is all but only used for tractors, and drum brake systems.

Dot 5 is a Silicone base brake fluid, and as you can see, does not only beat 3 & 4 on heat, but also repels water.

However while Dot 3 & 4 will mix, Dot 5 must never be mixed with Dot 3 & 4.
Dry Boiling Wet Boiling

DOT 3
401F 284F Draws water, & eats up your rubber parts, and should not be used in disc brake cars & trucks. Change every year

DOT 4
446F 311F Draws water, and eats up your rubber parts, notice how it turns black. Better change every year. ____________________________________________________

DOT 5
500F 356F Repels water, and conditions rubber. Notice how it is still clear, after 5 years. Then you change it out. Just to see I have it in bonnie, for a little over 10 years, still clear as water
I have been using Dot 5 for about 20 years now, but you must replace all your rubber parts after using Dot 3 or 4. Before installing Dot 5. Unless your into speed & heavy braking or towing heavy loads in the mountains. You won't notice the added boiling point of Dot 5.

The main benifit to running Dot 5 is, It will keep your rubber parts from deteriorating, and your cast Iron or alluminum Master cly, front calipers & rear wheel cyls from rusting or oxidizing.

There are alot of tricks mechanics learn over the years, how to make your car break down sooner. Or how to beat the odds, I allways, tell my clients how to beat the odds. Yet I still seem to have plenty of work.

Marturo

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 07:00 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Not worth the trouble

Marturo is right, there is better out there.

However, frankly it is not worth the green to swap on an old heap like this. It will cost more than just finding what the problem is, flushing the system, replacing the offending parts and refilling with DOT 3.

Search this Thread