Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 Chevy Lumina

Visiting Guest

04-01-02, 08:07 AM   #1  
gallahadpa
1992 Chevy Lumina

Hi,
I have a problem with my 1992 Chevy Lumina 3.1 Liter, Automatic. When I am driving, it accelerates and deaccelerates fine, however when I come to a stop e.g. stop light, stop sign, or even to turn a corner, the car shuts off. My cousin, who runs an auto shop says that the possiable culprit is the Tourqe Converter Clutch Celinoid. I have never heard of such a thing and also where is it located?!?! He is on Vacation so I can't have him do the work for me, also I am not compleatly sure this is the problem. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by gallahadpa; 04-01-02 at 08:53 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-01-02, 04:18 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The torque converter clutch switch controls converter lockup. When it sticks it will make an automatic car drive like a standard when you forget to press in the clutch and slow down. It is worse at deceleration and coming up to a traffic light off a highway, let's say.

It can usually be unplugged, but it will sap your fuel mileage a bit.

Wait for your cousin to diagnose it for you.

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 06:27 AM   #3  
gallahadpa
Thanx....I spoke with him last night....he called from Florida. He also said the same as you. He said the cost is about $300 to fix because it requires opening the side of the Transmission to replace the Solinoid. He also mentioned that I can unplug it and if that cures the problem then it is the Solinoid, if not then I need to check the Brake switch as that it also has to do with releasing and engaging the TCC Solinoid. Thanx again for your help.

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 06:49 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure sounds plausible to me. Let us know what you find.

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 03:27 PM   #5  
chadtoolio
I wish you would come here and pay me 300 bucks! Wow thats high. The parts are 35 dollars tops and it takes about 45 minutes to do. That does sound like the problem though. You can diagnose it yourself like Joe said. Pull the 4 pin connector on the side of the trans and if the problem goes away thats what is wrong.

Good luck

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 05:47 PM   #6  
telorvehc2000
IF THATS A 4 SPEED TRANS THEN IT WILL TAKE 3.5-4 HRS TO DO BECAUSE OF THE TRANNY MOUNT SURROUNDING THE SIDE COVER THE PARTS ARE ABOUT 60 DOLLARS GM RETAIL.

04-02-02, 06:27 PM   #7  
The trans should be a 4t60e if you can change the tcc solenoid in 45 minutes, this i need to see.

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 05:28 AM   #8  
Joe_F
It's likely a fairly extensive repair as things are in the way on it.

Dealer labor is EASILY 60 bucks an hour (more now, depending on location) and it's probably a 2 or 3 hour job including diagnosis.

Since the original poster has a relative in the business, we'll see what he/she tells him and when he reports back with the fix and resolution.

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 06:22 AM   #9  
gallahadpa
He is due back this weekend and said he will do it on Sunday....I will post Monday with the findings. His rate is 56 per hour....the part is about 65. I will let you all know the total cost. Thanx to everyone who replied. Temporarilly I am finding it easier to shift Manually from OD to D to 2 to 1 and the stall is alot less often.

Search this Thread