intermittent overheating Ford Taurus

Old 04-02-02, 04:50 PM
intermittent overheating Ford Taurus

1994 Ford Taurus 3.8 intermittent overheating: Hard to explain!! Car overheats sometimes while driving. When the heater is on, all of a sudden no heat and than the car runs hot. The coolant level is ok. When car sits while running(ex. drive through) car will over heat sometimes. Today, the temp went to red while driving, than all of a sudden it cooled down to normal. I replaced the thermostat a few days ago, but the problem still exists. The reason I replaced the thermo, is because when the engine was hot, the hose from the radiator to the block( top hose) was as hard as a rock, indicating no flow, I thought. Guess I was wrong. No white smoke,no sweet smell (yet) Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-02, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
You may have an air bubble. Last year I had to fix a water leak on my brother's '93 3.8 Sable and before I started work his wife also asked if I could look at the noise coming from under dash. It had an air bubble in it that actually made a fairly loud gurgling through the heater core when you would step on the gas. After the leak fix, I got all the air out by elevating the front of the car to make the radiator cap the absolute highest point. Did the trick, no more gurgling.

When the engine is up to temp there is a fair amount of pressure in the system, so a hard upper hose would be normal.

Old 04-02-02, 07:30 PM
1994 Ford Taurus Intermittent overheating

The_Tow_Guy: Thanks for your reply. I do hear a gurgling when the vehicle is shut off. To elevate the front, to the highest point, without shop equippment, what would you suggest. I don't think that a standard jack would get it high enough. Thanks again!!

Old 04-02-02, 08:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could also be a head gasket. These 3.8 engines are notorious gasket blowers.

Ford is eating some repairs on them. If it turns out to be a head gasket, call Ford and see if they will provide assistance on the repair.

Old 04-03-02, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
Head gasket was first thing I thought of, too, Joe, but he said no smell, no smoke. Maymay, check oil for signs of water intrusion, too, i.e. brown peanut butter look.

I used the wheel-lift on my wrecker for elevation. Car ramps would be another way. Other than that, find a friend with a really steep driveway. Get it up cold and idle until thermo opens up, should get a "burp" out of it. Before it expells the air you'll be getting a little overflow as the coolant warms up, so be ready with
fresh stuff to pour in .

Old 04-03-02, 05:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be. A check with a gas analyzer will net if there is HC in the coolant or not. That will tell you where the trouble lies.

I do agree about regular maintenance on it and the problem being elsewhere perhaps. All depends. If the car has not seen any upkeep in a while, this is where to start.

Old 04-03-02, 05:19 AM
INTERMITTENT OVERHEATING

Thanks Tow guy and Joe. JOE: I emailed Ford Motor and explained the problem, waiting for reply. They may ask me where I received the repair cost assistance. Is there a Ford memo that I can refer to? TOW GUY: I will follow your advise also, but being the novice that I am, do I remove the radiator cap to let the air escape, if not where will it escape from? Thanks again guys, sorry to keep bothering you

Old 04-03-02, 05:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check www.alldata.com for any bulletins on it. It's kind of a "hidden recall" if you will, although I have seen articles in it in Crain's Auto and other industry publications. You should be able to find it in the library or find links on the internet that would bolster your case.

It is a goodwill warranty and you're going to have to push a little to get them to help...that is if the problem is really there or not. Might want to have an independent shop or a Ford dealer look at it. If they confirm it is a head gasket, their labor will be billed to Ford perhaps.

See what comes of it. Again, if the car has not seen cooling system maintenance (belts, hoses, coolant flush, etc), start there.

Old 04-03-02, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
For the "burp", with engine cold elevate front end. Remove radiator cap and start engine. When engine starts to warm up coolant will probably start to overflow (can get a little messy) from normal expansion. When the thermostat opens you should see a noticable drop in the water level, also the upper hose will get real warm indicating flow; add coolant to bring level up to filler neck and put cap on. Check level in coolant overflow tank and add as necessary. As a double check, you can let the engine cool and repeat the procedure. Good luck.

Old 04-03-02, 11:11 AM
I"ve got a 93 Cougar (same engine) and it has a fitting on the top of the engine for doing this doesn't it? It's a white plug looking thing (don;t you love it when somebody talks all technical like LOL) that looks like a sewer test plug with a screw in the middle of it. I just checked ALLdata and they say there isn't one, but I seem to remember some earlier posts about it.

Old 04-03-02, 11:24 AM
Found an earlier post from this guy who calls himself Joe_F.

Also, there is a white plastic disc with a bolt through it. That is the bleed port.

Old 04-03-02, 12:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, Joe_F would be me . Where's the post?

Old 04-03-02, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
The Sable did not have a bleed outlet and the Taurus is essentially the same car so probably not. Would be nice if all cars had them.

Look out for that Joe guy, he'll try to convert you to GM products!

Old 04-03-02, 02:16 PM
Don't I know it. I found the post when you and Joe_f were talking about you having to work on a Taurus a few weeks ago.

Old 04-03-02, 04:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hey I resemble that comment . Lol.

I only suggest the best, from the world's largest carmaker ....

That being said, Gary: Have you contacted Ford about them eating your 3.8 head gasket issue? Where do you stand there?