Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

service engine soon

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 06:58 PM   #1  
rchairez
service engine soon

I have a 1994 Chevy pickup. with 4.3 liter V-6 My sevice engine light recentenly came on. I have replace the Oxgen sensor and fuel filter the plugs and rotor an sparkplug wires and disdrbutor cap and air cleaner. The light does not stay on and only when i get on a long run. If i turn the truck off and restared it after five minutes or less it will not come on till i start to drive for a long run again. Please help

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 07:17 PM   #2  
John Dalrymple
After replacing the ozygen sensor, did you disconnect the battery? If you did not the computor will not reset thus bringing up the trouble code again. Try disconnecting the battery for at least five minutes, then try again. If the light still comes on, check the catalytic convertor to see if it is plugged.

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 07:59 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Whoa Nelley.

Check my post "The Basics"and the links in my signature file. You must know why the light is on before shotgunning things and changing parts.

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 08:16 PM   #4  
rchairez
Re: service engine soon

Originally posted by rchairez
I have a 1994 Chevy pickup. with 4.3 liter V-6 My sevice engine light recentenly came on. I have replace the Oxgen sensor and fuel filter the plugs and rotor an sparkplug wires and disdrbutor cap and air cleaner. The light does not stay on and only when i get on a long run. If i turn the truck off and restared it after five minutes or less it will not come on till i start to drive for a long run again. Please help
Yes I did but not after changing everything else is it nessasary.

LA

04-03-02, 08:30 PM   #5  
The computer will store a code for the problem as long as you do not pull the ECM fuse(s) or disconnect the battery. It can be read even if the light has gone out. AutoZone has a new program where they will read the code for you (free) and let you know what's going on. Could be any of a number of things. Let us know what you find out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-03-02, 08:46 PM   #6  
The PCM will store the code, as you suggest dan, but the light wont come on unless there is a sensor reading the wrong value. If the o2 sensor was the problem, and it was changed, the code would still be stored, but the light would stay off.

Go to autozone, as dan suggested, and have the codes read for you. Post the results, and we'll help you get it straight.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

04-04-02, 12:57 AM   #7  
Looks to me that he's still getting a light after changing the O2 Sensor. He's got something else going on. It's terrible how many of these senors and controllers affect each other. It seems that after you read your code you've often still got a little guess work ahead!

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 05:33 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Yes, because a code is only a starting point . You have to know what is causing the code to come on. It may or may not be a failed part .

A broken vacuum line on my grandparent's Cavalier caused the check engine light to be on. Because the MAP sensor value was being changed.

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 11:46 AM   #9  
rchairez
Originally posted by cheese
The PCM will store the code, as you suggest dan, but the light wont come on unless there is a sensor reading the wrong value. If the o2 sensor was the problem, and it was changed, the code would still be stored, but the light would stay off.

Go to autozone, as dan suggested, and have the codes read for you. Post the results, and we'll help you get it straight.
The code is not on at this time. Do they check the code with the truck running or off. I have the jumper key from autozone i have try to read the code when it was on it did not show anything also if the truck is off for more the five minutes or less it will not come on when i go to start the truck.

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 05:28 PM   #10  
telorvehc2000
egr

3-1 its egr related

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 07:57 PM   #11  
rchairez
Re: egr

Originally posted by telorvehc2000
3-1 its egr related
Telorvehc2000
I took my truck to auto zone and had them check it they told me it was the egr.
Thanks for the second opinion. I will be changing it out and resting the computer.

Search this Thread