1990 Honda Accord

Old 04-04-02, 01:55 PM
sunni
Visiting Guest
1990 Honda Accord

1990 Honda Accord sometimes will not start. It can sit after about 20 minutes,then start. Sometimes starts fine, after I get off working 10 hours will not start. Wait and try again 10-30 minutes, and will start. Been in and out of shop. Replaced battery, coil, starter, plugs and wires, fuel pump. Dealership says this problem is common with Accords and that when weather is warmer car will do this. (Texas weather) Says its is a main relay needing replacing. I have check and have diagrams of parts. None are listed as Main Relay. Auto supplies need to know which relay. Is this just a Honda part. Auto parts has a relay for $30 and Honda sells a relay for $60. I do not know where this Main Relay would be located. I am sure I could replace it if I could find it. Help if you can. I have avoided taking to Dealer because of costs involved. Have only used local mechanics and they just seem to hook up to computer for answers. I have had wreckers come to my rescue only to have the car start after they arrive.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-02, 02:24 PM
Does it refuse to start in hot weather? Will it start after the interior of the car cooled off? I believe the relay responsible for this is located in the driver's side, underneath the dash, all the way up there. I think. Go with the Honda relay, unless you want to go through the process again.

Old 04-04-02, 07:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the owner's manual or check the links in my signature file.

Another source of woe in these era Hondas are the ignitors, coils, caps and rotors. Many supersessions and changes on these parts over the years.

The dealer is probably on the money. Should be easy to change. Have them tell you where the relay is.

Old 04-05-02, 04:00 AM
sunni
Visiting Guest
Warm weather is when it mostly refuses to start. Was told it was located on driver side under dash. But not sure which is relay. None on print out of under dash relays is called what Honda parts man called a Main Relay. All parts mentioned coil,etc. have been replaced. Thanks for your replys.

Old 04-05-02, 05:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does your service manual say about the location of the relay in the box?

The links in my signature file?

Old 04-05-02, 10:55 AM
sunni
Visiting Guest
do not have manual, purchased used, was not included

Old 04-05-02, 11:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Which manual do you have?

Old 04-05-02, 02:32 PM
sunni
Visiting Guest
have no manual, pulled up diagram on Chilton, shows several relays and fuses, none are noted as Main Relay as was told by Honda Dealership

Old 04-05-02, 02:35 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
Follow diagram to fuel pump relay.This may be the one they're talking about.