Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 Nissan Pickup Timing Belt

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 05:24 PM   #1  
joeybergeron
97 Nissan Pickup Timing Belt

First of all, I would like to give a sincere, "Thank You", to all the moderators of this site, you have helped me tremendously. Now the problem I have is my 97 Nissan Pickup has 71,894 miles and is idling very funny. From my experience with Nissan's(3) the timing belt is probably going out.
I would like to tackle this job myself with little automotive mechanic experience. Does anyone recommend certain literature via internet/text that could step me through the process of changing the timing belt? Or should I not even attempt it?
This is my work/fishing/hunting truck and I believe doing this myself would be a great confidence booster for later projects.
Thanks, Joey

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 05:26 PM   #2  
Billdo49er
It's a fairly easy repair.
Try the link below.

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 07:30 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Check some of the links in my signature file, particularly the alldata.com one.

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 08:03 PM   #4  
Billdo49er
I have used alldata for years.It is good in the field.The thing I don't like about them for the do it yourselfer is that they charge you for each vehicle.So if you have 3 or 4 vehicles it'll be expensive to look up your problems.Also it's not a one time fee,It's per year.

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 01:11 AM   #5  
knuckles
Bill,

You might want to update your signature file. Autolibrary.com does not exist. The correct link to the Chilton On-line site is http://www.autolibrary.org .

As for Alldata online vs. other service info....I have a subscription to the Alldata PRO service through an arrangement between BATauto.com and Alldata. We at BATauto.com promote the Alldata DIY subscriptions in return for free access to professional info and permission to use copyrighted Alldata info and images in our forums.

Alldata is useful for most repairs, but if you're a DIYer who owns, services & keeps a car for more than a few years, an OEM manual is the only way to go. At approx. $25 per vehicle per year, AlldataDIY is a bargain for *most* people.

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 05:49 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree with Knuckles 100%

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 08:13 AM   #7  
Billdo49er
I forgot to put org instead of com.

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 08:39 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Service manuals are cheaper than you think. A used one works fine and many can be had on the web or on CD Rom quite reasonably for the money.

I picked up a set of manuals for my Trans Am for 66 bucks, and it uses three books. Other cars simply use one and are just as reasonable. Ebay has them quite often.

Search this Thread